ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > DEBATE HALL
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-25-2004, 10:47 PM   #16
nycwriters
Stuck in T.O.

My child, if I ever have one, will be homeschooled. I want my child to succeed and be brilliant and I think there are advantages to intensive individual attention. Like Surbhi said, I can send my child to scouts or girl guides or dances, or dance lessons or swimming lessons for social interaction.

Plus, the choices around here, were I to stay here and raise a child, are limited. There are long waiting lists for the good public schools and while they are improving, they're not improving fast enough, or in areas that are so very much needed.

Private schools cost and arm and a leg -- it averages $30,000 a year for high school. And I'm not a millionaire. Sadly.

So given the choices, I'd opt for teaching my child at home.
nycwriters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 10:51 PM   #17
Ravn
monkey

allright

The compulsory education system that we have now was put in place after WWI to ensure more good little worker bees for the government.

***To make my question clearer, I was thinking of the example where a parent decides to homeschool their child. Are there checks and balances in place to ensure that the child is learning certain standard subjects properly - i.e. how is the parent's ability as a teacher evaluated, if at all?

It varies from state to state, as shown in one of the links I gave you. Some of it is a joke though. Where I live in NY is basically the ghetto. The highschool here has a higher pregnancy rate than graduation rate, gangs, metal detectors, police are there everyday, but I have to basically lick the school super's balls to prove that I can teach my child.

*** I referring to objective standards here, like spelling, math, reading, grammar, all that stuff - not subjects that could be considered subjective or up to interpretation by the teacher (e.g. what really happened in the War of 1812?). Is there leeway re: curriculum? Suppose a parent decides not to teach a subject altogether?***

That's why there are so many different books and theories behind homeschooling. It all gets done. Whether people use SonRise, Usborne, Montessori, Waldorf, eclectic, un-schooling. Everything is learning. Not just sitting in a class memorizing times tables. Spelling is not hard to teach, they have this great thing called phonics. Reading happens at different ages at different levels. My sister got hell for not being able to read at age 7, at age 8 it was like a lightbulb clicked and now at only 24 she has a masters degree in chemistry. I feel so bad that she was made to feel dumb because she wasn't "status quo" and no one paid attention to the fact that her science and math grades were off the chart. Grammer isn't all that hard to teach unless you live in the ghetto and "I be going to da sto" is considered proper english. Homeschooling is a wonderful lifestyle and should be left up to the family.
I know there are great teachers, but frankly, everyone I went to college with who became a teacher did so because they couldn't get a job in their field.

also, paraphrasing a friend of mine on the subject who happens to be my homeschooling idol,,,,

"my response would just be that the proof is in the pudding. As long as homeschoolers continue to outscore public schooled students on objective tests like the SAT, I really don't see where the school districts should have much say in what each individual homeschooling families do. Perhaps the tables should be turned. Perhaps schools should be held accountable for bringing their test scores up to match homeschoolers. Ya know, I'm not a big believer in stuff like testing, but when homeschoolers consistently score so well even on this most schoolish of schooly crap, I don't see how people can keep on going around making a fuss about how homeschoolers need more regulation. Let's spend our energy fixing problems that *need* fixing, not trying to fix something that's not broken."

and

"I can see the point about an Andrea Yates, not knowing what's going on in a home. But sadly, there are many children in the public school system who are victims of abuse. Somehow, they're falling through the cracks. I don't think heavily regulating homeschooling fixes child abuse and I don't think it's necessary given the success of hs kids on tests."

There are downsides to it, you do get the religous nuts, the control freaks, etc. Frankly, everyone else seemed to have so much fun running homeschoolers into the ground I was trying to be the positive voice.

I am so sorry that you feel I am lazy or lacking by posting positive homeschooling websites. It is just such a personal decision that I was trying to post other objective sites.

"These woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." ~~ R.F.

Last edited by Ravn : 04-25-2004 at 11:04 PM.
Ravn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 11:05 PM   #18
Ravn
monkey

yup

You mean I'm not the only person in the world under 65 named Peg? LOL!

"These woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." ~~ R.F.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:07 PM   #19
catbelly
monkey

Aiee! And I am sorry that you seem to be taking my comments so personally. Lazy, lacking, no. That's all your assumption, Ravn. I merely noted that you were not addressing the points with your own views, and indicating that I did not understand why - since you obviously have strong opinions on the subject.

Quote:
Grammer [sic] isn't all that hard to teach unless you live in the ghetto and "I be going to da sto" is considered proper english.
Gah. Are you going to teach your child these stereotypes as well? Super. Hope there is someone in his dance class or swim team or whatever else who can help him see a different point of view.

Wanting to ask about the downsides of a practice is not the same as attacking it.
catbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 11:15 PM   #20
Ravn
monkey

actually, that *is* how the people in this part of Albany talk. There are very trashy neighborhoods where the people talk like this, where you hear 8 year olds telling each other to fvck off and svck my dick and the like, where you can look out your window and see drug dealers, where the response to "hello" is "go to hell, bitch"

And actually, I wasn't worried about it sounding stereotypically black, considering where I live it seems to be mostly pwt. My elderly neighbor told me that 30 years ago this used to be a nice Italian neighborhood. So the makeup of this neighborhood, I would say would be 60 % white, 25 % black, 10 % hispanic and 5% asian. I think I've met like 5 other people who are just families starting out, trying to get by, and the rest are just generation after generation of people who don't care, and go thru life with their hand out.

Old 04-25-2004, 11:20 PM   #21
catbelly
monkey

LOL who said anything about black?
Old 04-25-2004, 11:26 PM   #22
Ravn
monkey

sorry, that was me inferring. I've had that part of the convo before with someone else. My brain just jumped ahead of my fingers.

The fact of the matter, (get ready for a sob story LOL) is that I fvcking hate where I live. I cannot stand it at all. I hate being around people who have no drive to better themselves and are content settle and be mindless sheeple. I have to pick up litter out of my yard everyday, beer bottles, lottery tickets, dog shit (and I don't have a dog), so I tend to get grouchy, then again, even if I lived in a nice neighborhood, I would still homeschool.

Be Back later, hubby needs phone

Old 04-25-2004, 11:29 PM   #23
catbelly
monkey

Ah, that's sad. Not the homeschool part, the hate. Hope better times / places are in your future.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:32 AM   #24
Audreyvgs
Blue's Clues

A lot of the kids here in HS are quitting way early, dropping out because of the immense pressures between the haves and have nots....Christ, one kid at one HS here drives a $200,000 BMW. There are ferraris in the parking lots here. If you bought any of your school clothes at Target, you will be the laughing stock. Alot of them are going back to HS via the "troubled teen" programs, held locally at churches and other places, usually meant for pregnant girls or kids with problems, the drop outs are finding a haven for themselves, sans the peer pressure, and doing A's instead of D's.

I wasn't brought up like this, i lived in a town of 1000 people in the middle of Illinois. Im terrified, but completely ill-equipped to either teach him my self or pay for private school.

GAH!
Audreyvgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 12:46 AM   #25
Hermione
monkey

Just to let you guys know.. many private schools offer scholarships to exceptionally gifted students.
Hermione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 01:25 AM   #26
catbelly
monkey

Quote:
Originally posted by Audreyvgs
I wasn't brought up like this, i lived in a town of 1000 people in the middle of Illinois. Im terrified, but completely ill-equipped to either teach him my self or pay for private school.

GAH!
I will second that Gah!!

My town was slightly bigger than yours, Aud - but it was in the Canadian north ... so maybe it was effectively the same. No real materialistic pressure at all. With respect to actual coursework, when I think of my own schooling, I think that I would have benefited from homeschool in the early and late years. I did some self-study within the school system in later years, it worked out well.

I wonder if a hybrid is possible, some homeschool plus some public/private?
Old 04-26-2004, 03:49 AM   #27
Gatsby
I used to be a girl

Quote:
Originally posted by surbhi

Just to let you guys know.. many private schools offer scholarships to exceptionally gifted students.
But it's not the exceptionally gifted students who struggle in public schools, either. They're likely going to succeed no matter where they are. It's the middle-class student of average intelligence who're at real risk of getting left behind (and by left behind I am NOT referring to ANYTHING Bush-ish, God forbid).

What do you guys think of the voucher system?

Last edited by Gatsby : 04-26-2004 at 03:51 AM.
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:04 AM   #28
catbelly
monkey

I'm thinking that gifted students may not struggle, but they may not blossom either. It's frustrating to poop around in a class that's not challenging, and be isolated from your peers if you appear to be a lot smarter than they are.

Not that I'm an incredible rocket scientist or anything, but I spent a few of my high school years acting dumb to fit in. Yeah, not super proud of that. Twenty years later I have recovered but I look back with some "what might have been" feelings. I read Surbhi's post and felt a little jealous, frankly. I wish I'd felt supported in terms of learning.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:55 PM   #29
Spicy Jack
Brains! Brains!

If and when I have kids, they will be home schooled. The world is going down the shit hole and I'm not going to let a bunch of Godless strangers teach my kids.
Spicy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 05:00 PM   #30
topcat
monkey

"and when I have kids, they will be home schooled. The world is going down the shit hole " that is a perfect reason not to have kids. if i was choosing to have children in todays world i don't think i would.
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: