ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > CURRENT EVENTS
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-03-2007, 09:46 PM   #1
Medic54

Thumbs down Illinois To Pass Smoking Ban

The Governor of the state of Illinois is getting ready to sign the Bill that will ban smoking in all public places state wide. That is going to put a hurting on all the bars and resturants in Illinois.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:23 PM   #2
Earthling
Human User

Cool It's here too

The state of Ohio, passed such a law a number of months ago, and today it the 1st day of enforcement.

I smoke like a feind, but I'll tell ya'

When I become king of Earth, I'm gonna ban it from the entire planet.
*only chance I'll have to quit.. *
Old 05-03-2007, 10:39 PM   #3
Medic54

What I find Ironic

About these smoking bans that have been instituted by hospitals is that people aren't allowed to smoke on hospital property because of the carbon monoxide that comes from the cigarette smoke but yet they have motor vehicles in the parking lots with engines running and ambulances parked with engines running right infront of the emergency room entrances. The exhaust from the desel engines puts out far more carbon monxide than a cigarette does.

Since I'm a smoker I guess I'll be eating and drinking at home more often now that I won't be able to smoke in a resturant. Besides it's summer and I have more fun grilling out.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:46 PM   #4
nowhereman
monkey

Smoking bans

I don't smoke but I don't understand the concept of banning a legal substance. I'm sick of bans in general. let's ban this, let's ban that. It's always the left pushing for this nonsense. Great, now that we have the bans starting to take place in states people can't even smoke in their own homes if the smoke is affecting someone else, i.e. neighbors in apartments and condos. What's next? Banning alcohol? Sheesh.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:59 PM   #5
Medic54

NWM

I heard they were going to start banning smoking in apartment buildings and homes where children live. They are calling it child endangerment from second hand smoke. I would say this is something out of Orwell's 1984 except 1984 has long passed. I can understand the banning of smoking at hospitals, resturants etc but I don't think the government should be allowed to ban what you do in your own home.

If the government was really that concerned about the dangers of smoking and health hazards, then why don't they outlaw tobacco companies from growing tobacco and making cigarettes. The reason being is the government makes big bucks from the taxes they collect. Same reason the repealed prohibition. For the almighty dollar.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:35 PM   #6
nowhereman
monkey

Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic54 View Post
I heard they were going to start banning smoking in apartment buildings and homes where children live. They are calling it child endangerment from second hand smoke. I would say this is something out of Orwell's 1984 except 1984 has long passed. I can understand the banning of smoking at hospitals, resturants etc but I don't think the government should be allowed to ban what you do in your own home.

If the government was really that concerned about the dangers of smoking and health hazards, then why don't they outlaw tobacco companies from growing tobacco and making cigarettes. The reason being is the government makes big bucks from the taxes they collect. Same reason the repealed prohibition. For the almighty dollar.
Yes, that is a pretty scary road to travel down especially since the activity is a legal activity. I would say that is a violation of one rights at that point. The people affected have other avenues for recourse, including legal. Take the person to court for medical bills, doctors visits related to the effects of taking in the smoke. This is a slam dunk especially if the person has allergies and the person smoking is not making an effort to keep the smoke from traveling into the neighbors area. I know this is a sticky situation but you shouldn't be able to outright ban an activity in someones home especially when that activity is considered a legal activity.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:59 PM   #7
Bickering

Red face Hi Medic

Quote:
The Governor of the state of Illinois is getting ready to sign the Bill that will ban smoking in all public places state wide. That is going to put a hurting on all the bars and resturants in Illinois.
Now you are going to see what it is already like up in Ontario...we've already dealt with this issue. Many bars and restaurants felt the crunch of lost dollars when alot of smokers just decided to stay home or move on to establishments that had outside patios where they could smoke. No smoking is normally allowed within 10 feet or so of a doorway and it goes on and on.

For the non-smokers and children it is great. But don't treat smokers like they are pariaha (sp.).

No smoking is allowed in my home, even though I smoke. If someone wants one they need to step outside. I find the house is more pleasant and the kids are not exposed to a bad habit that some grown ups have.

Re Smoking in Canadian Prisons.

Anyone who thinks smoking isn't going on in prisons?? Come on..it goes on all the time - they have everything from drugs to cigarettes. Ban or no ban.

Last edited by Bickering : 05-05-2007 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Extension
Old 05-04-2007, 12:29 AM   #8
Medic54

NWM and Bick

NWM I see our rights slowly dwindling away. I agree that there are other actions people can take besides banning smoking. It would be hard for someone to sue someone for doing something which is legal unless they can prove that second hand smoke cause them health problems.

Bick, I know you don't smoke in your home but that is a personal choice. I try and respect the rights of non-smokers. My son doesn't allwow smoking in his home so when I'm there I go outside and smoke. I don't smoke around his wife because she is pregnant and we want nothing to harm my unborn grandchild. When we go out to eat since they don't smoke we sit in the no smoking section. I'm use to being in places that have a no smoking policy when I work. There is no smoking in the ambulances and it's a $100.00 fine for the first offense, second offense is a two week suspension without pay and third offense is termination.

When they pass this statewide smoking ban they are taking away my choice of smoking or not smoking in a public place. They are also taking away the choice of merchants as to whether or not to allow smoking in their establishments. I live in a college town and 90% of the bar business and resturant business is from students and most of them smoke.

What is worse is that when the Governor signs this Bill into law, there will be prison riots in Illinois because the ban will also effect the state prisons. Illinois has had some of the worst prison riots in the nation.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:40 AM   #9
nowhereman
monkey

Medic

Quote:

What is worse is that when the Governor signs this Bill into law, there will be prison riots in Illinois because the ban will also effect the state prisons. Illinois has had some of the worst prison riots in the nation.
Are you concerned about the prisoners rioting over this? I'm not very sympathetic in that area.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:50 AM   #10
Medic54

NWM

Being that I'm not in prison it's not that big of an issue to me but, I do have friends that work in corrections and I would really hate to see one of them injured because an inmate went berserk because he was having a nicotine fit. The point I was trying to make is that this smoking ban is going to have an adverse effect on everyone.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:06 AM   #11
phoenix
monkey

smoking

We've had a smoking ban in public places in Ontario for quite some time now. Even in restaurants that have a patio, smoking is permitted outside, but cannot be under a roof. If the patio tables have umbrellas on them, the umbrellas can't be touching...it's considered a roof then. Our employer provided us with a gazebo for our smoking area...the wind picked it up and blew it away of course. We were allowed to have it as long as it wasn't connnected to the building...couldn't even touch the building...and it had no more than 2 walls. The roof was allowed since it wasn't connected to the building. There's no smoking in vehicles with logos or in vehicles without logos that are used for buisiness. There is now talk of banning smoking on hospital property, even in the parking lot, in vehicles with children in them, and in homes.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:47 AM   #12
Stephi_B
waaaaaaa :)

As an

(almost ) ex-smoker: Don't see much sense in banning smoking in places where non-smokers and smokers can be kept apart, say at train-stations where we (still for a few month) have smokers' corners at the end of platforms, or in clubs/bars/restaurants which have different separate rooms, or in public buildings where there is a smokers' room.

IMO, excessive alcohol drinking is anyways far more dangerous for public health. Chain smokers don't cause fatal car accidents, hurt/kill their partners, their kids, strangers who cross their way, etc. just because they smoked too much that night. Well and lung cancer kills faster than the illnesses typical for alcoholics, so the health and pension insurance come away cheaper with this addicts... Prohibition didn't work - it does not even work in Sharia countries - actually banned things are usually even more attractive for youth. But it pisses me off that smokers are more and more treated like criminals whereas drug #1 alcohol 110% socially acceptable, advertised everywhere. A few weeks ago a kid died after drinking ca. 40 whiskey. Those politicians who called for sharper age controls in discos etc. and for raising the age for 'soft alcoholic drinks' (beer & wine) from 16 to 18 like it is for the harder stuff (the kid who died was not yet allowed to drink whiskey btw) where cried down within one day from the big alcohol-for-youths-is-OK lobby. The age for smoking was raised from 16 to 18 btw.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:01 AM   #13
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Federal prisons in Canada have made the transition to being smoke-free without apocalyptic results. Plenty of nicotine replacement products were made available, which no doubt helped somewhat. Inmates are found regularly trying to smoke tea and whatnot, but by and large things have gone pretty smoothly.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:42 AM   #14
Medic54

Trisherina

Canadian prisons are quite different from American state and federal prisons. The least little thing can set off a riot. In Illinois the assaults on corrections staff has risen due to a shortage of correctional officers. The governor picked the wrong time of year to sign a Bill that is going to deprive inmates the right to smoke. Illinois prisons are very volitle in the summer time. The last big riot they had left three correctional officers dead, and one female officer raped. I'm not pro inmate but I do have friends that work in corrections.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:55 AM   #15
Medic54

Phoenix

When the Bill gets signed I believe one of the conditions is that a person smoking will have to be at least five feet away from any public building. I'm not sure how this is going to effect those bars that have an open patio. I can think of alot of other things that should be banned other than smoking that are far more dangerous. I personally feel this ban is discriminating. What's next no smoking in public parks?

They should ban people from talking on their cellphones while driving a car. That is far more dangerous because the driver is distracted and not paying attention to what they're doing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: