ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > CURRENT EVENTS
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2007, 11:47 AM   #1
Tennessee Man
monkey

GW Bush Vetos Iraq US Troops Withdrawl

WASHINGTON -President Bush vetoed legislation to pull U.S. troops out of Iraq Tuesday night in a historic showdown with Congress over whether the unpopular and costly war should end or escalate.

Not since Vietnam, has the American public been so confused about an issue facing the USA. This happening on the 4th Anniversary of the famous GW Bush "Misson Accomplished" speech. How ironic!!!!!

While I am an American Military Veteran as well as the majority of my family, most of us feel going into Iraq to topple Saddams regime was a good move. Staying after this was done, gets a little harder to swallow. I'm interested in the viewpoints of others on this subject. I just don't see what can possibly be accomplished by the US Forces remaining there without a clear exit strategy but, if they're going to be there. Fund them & support them.

Tennessee Man
Old 05-02-2007, 01:13 PM   #2
Red2
banned

TM

Hey there. I agree to a point. This has gone on long enough. People are dying in too big of numbers (any number is too big IMO) and there seems to be no end to it. Iraq needs to step up and take over their own country. However we can't set a date (at least not publicly) to withdraw. That, like many has said, is like waving a white flag. It gives the terrorist a date to say ok we'll sit back until that date then after they are gone we'll continue with our mission and then we will be free to do what we want. If they are gonna set a date for withdrawal they shouldn't make it public and until they are withdrawn you are right they needed to be funded and supported. If their funds are taken away I bet the death toll for our American soldiers will rise greatly all because congress and Bush can't agree on anything. How can either the Dems or the GOP expect anyone to get along if they can't. We have essentially a civil war going on right in the middle of our own government. Incredible
Old 05-02-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
Tennessee Man
monkey

Hi, There Red2

Granted the withdrawl date should never be made public. Notify the Iraqi Gov't & U.S. Military Commanders of the date. Then route the US Troops in stages to the airport for pick up. Staying without at least planning an exit strategy makes very little sense. Many of these newly arriving US Forces could be moved to Kuwait, then transferred to Afganistan to finish up there as well. Our US Forces cannot be allow to die to prop up the Iraqi Gov't without a clear plan to leave this nation. The time has come for our USA Government Leaders to make some hard choices. This isn't about what political party you belong to. Commonsense and the lives of the US Forces must be be put first. Staying in Iraq longer accomplishes what exactly????

Tennessee Man
Old 05-02-2007, 03:27 PM   #4
Red2
banned

Tm

I can see nothing that staying in Iraq will accomplish now. Everything we could accomplish we have done we may not have accomplished everything we wanted to but everything that we can accomplish has been. Now it should be time to make Iraq responsible for their own country. They have to do it sometime. We can't stay over there forever. If it came down to that we might as well just take over the country and make it part of the US. Its time to bring our countrymen home to their families and stop allowing them to be picked off one at a time. More often then not more than one at a time. They are like sitting ducks and with the funding and support being cut off it will get worse.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:30 PM   #5
12"razormix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2 View Post
That, like many has said, is like waving a white flag. It gives the terrorist a date to say ok we'll sit back until that date then after they are gone we'll continue with our mission and then we will be free to do what we want.
please explain this to me. usually people that surrender to some form of attack will wave a white flag. the us invaded iraq.

invaded. iraq.

why the white flag?

and where does "the terrorist" come into play? is there just one? and he lives in iraq??

please explain.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:35 PM   #6
Red2
banned

Razormix

It's just an expression. If the US announces that they are gonna withdraw and makes a date public that will send a message to any and all terrorist or whatever you want to call these people a signal. They will say ok lets hide out for a while keep ourselves safe and once this withdrawal date comes around and the troops all leave then we can all come out and reek havoc once again and they wont be there to stop us or slow us down.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:43 PM   #7
12"razormix

Quote:
whatever you want to call these people
i would like to call terrorists "terrorists".

i would also like to call the people of iraq "iraqi".

i also have a headache and am in no mood for this kind of bullshit so i won't take it any further.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:45 PM   #8
Red2
banned

Razormix

I wasnt referring to the citizens of Iraq I was referring to the terrorists themselves. People have many different names for them.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:48 PM   #9
12"razormix

i'm sorry if i was rude to you.. this really is intriguing me. so what is the connection between the withdrawal of the us troops from iraq and the terrorists?
Old 05-02-2007, 03:52 PM   #10
Red2
banned

Razormix

I honestly do not know. you guess is as good as mine. These are just my guesses and opinions. I feel that things do not seem to be getting any better over there. So do we up and leave and not finish what we started? Can what we started be finished? Do we Stay and hope to do some good. Or do we stay and allow our troops to continually be killed with very little hope of ever changing things there for the better. It's really a no win situation no matter what we do.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:59 PM   #11
Red2
banned

Razormix

BTW Hope your head feels better soon. I know how bad those things suck. I get migraines and they aren't too fun.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:05 PM   #12
12"razormix

red, have you taken the time to look at the number of us troops killed in comparison to the number of iraqi civilians killed? this might be interesting. just, y'know.. to put into perspective the amount of good anyone is doing over there.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:10 PM   #13
Red2
banned

Razormix

No argument there. Its astonishing the amount of deaths from troops and Iraqis. I see no real good being done there. That is not to say there isn't. There very well maybe but we will not hear about it because the media only wants to show the bad things. Good is not news worthy to the media. I myself would rather hear about it all good and bad. It would give me a better outlook on things as a whole and allow me to come up with i guess you might say better opinions.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:35 PM   #14
Tennessee Man
monkey

Red2 & 12" razormix

The withdrawl date cannot be made public because that would allow the terrorists, insurgents, & militia members within Iraq to hide or pull back and wait for things to be more of an advantage for them. Sooner or later, the Iraqi Gov't must take over. The US Forces babysitting them is only making them dependent on the USA well into the future. No good can come from remaining in Iraq for this purpose. All the USA originally set out to accomplish in Iraq was done years ago. Now by the US Forces remainng, we give the Iraqi Gov't the appearence that they must be propped up or it will fail. If you've ever followed the history of this region of the world, these nations change Gov'ts & Leaders quite often over time. That the USA can't change.

Tennessee Man
Old 05-02-2007, 08:12 PM   #15
DiggerDude
High Five Guys!

The way I see it, there weren't any terrorist there to begin with, and any that are there now are here because of the American troops pulling out will give them nothing to fight against. What was in Iraq before we came was the Shiite/Sunni rivalry. I highly dought there is anything we can do about that. Nobady seems to reallise that ending a rivalry that has been around for hundreds of years is not somthing we (by "we" I mean American) can do, especialy not in our current state.

Last edited by DiggerDude : 05-02-2007 at 08:39 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: