ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FICTION PROJECT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-20-2010, 11:15 AM   #1006
lukkucairi
earth worker

you wanna go where everybody knows your name

seriously, what's with all the pigeons? they're everywhere, in all of the overlapping and interpenetrating timelines here. they have very little fear of humans, either. you have to pretty much push them out of the windows in order to close them, and then they just land back on the sill and stare back in with their silly, uncomprehending eyes.

so, it's all going down in this huge old rambling mansion, in at least three different timelines. I'm wandering around and I can't tell when I open a door where I'll find myself: in the 1800s as a place ruined and abandoned for a decade or so, in the 1950s during the cold war, in the 2000s when it's been rehabbed into a tourist spot, or in the 2100s when it's fallen to ruin again.

the view is out over Douglas bay. in the 1950s there's a countdown clock visible over the entire city, two digits, LCD style. the military base sprawls from the base of the cliffs down to the sea, and everything is dark gray and covered in grime. no hope, or very little. a pilot is test-flying a "flying wing" style fighter, and is having issues with getting it to crash properly.

back inside, it's 2005 or something, and people are jammed into the newly-refurbished hallways looking at Rembrandt etchings with uncomprehending eyes. I open a door to find a brace of albino rabbits, the female with cotton-wool fur and pink skin that glows through. opening another door lets the damn pigeons in again, and one of them begins to sing the theme to Cheers very loudly. bah.

stuck in a traffic jam of people, trying to find Lucy, going against the flow because really I just want to get out of this house for a second...

big trees outside over the cisterns

afternoon sun at the window casement, pigeons outside

pigeons have taken over the top floor after the roof fell in
lukkucairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:35 PM   #1007
funkytuba
Spone to Proonerisms

I left a bunch of bacon at a restaurant. Raw bacon. Several pounds of it.

I had been doing something in their kitchen for some event and had left it there thinking they could use it.

Leaving, I drove through their drive-thru for a cup of coffee. They gave me the bacon with my coffee. "We don't go through this much bacon. You have to take it with you"

Actually. it's pretty crappy bacon, really small pieces. While driving home, I decide to fry up some of it on my iPhone. can only fit 3 or 4 of these bandaid-sized strips of bacon on the screen. the bacon fries up crisp, but I prefer it tender.

The iPhone gets real hot and covered in grease. Almost too hot to touch.CRAP! the screen won't turn on... hope this doesn't void the warranty..

ok, now half the screen works...just the top. the rest is all one color. Maybe I can cool it off in the freezer.

After some time in the freezer, it's almost too cold to touch. But it just might work!
Old 10-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #1008
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

I'm in an old house, maybe 1700s? No electricity. It's dark and stormy outside. Water in the basement, and now pouring through the ceiling too. I'm trying to find a dry place for the picnic basket before it gets totally dark.

The bowl of apples on the table looks just like Cezanne's.
brightpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:49 PM   #1009
lukkucairi
earth worker

^ your subconscious is determined to get you wet

the apples are tempting, n'est-ce pas? but so impressionistic. do they nourish?

zen, in general, provides a very spare habitation.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:50 PM   #1010
lukkucairi
earth worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkytuba View Post

Leaving, I drove through their drive-thru for a cup of coffee. They gave me the bacon with my coffee. "We don't go through this much bacon. You have to take it with you"
my friend Jon is a river guide in Moab, and he dunks his bacon in his coffee on river trips. swears by the taste combo.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:15 PM   #1011
Peregrine
Bird of Prey

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkytuba View Post
Actually. it's pretty crappy bacon, really small pieces. While driving home, I decide to fry up some of it on my iPhone.
There's an app for that?
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:03 AM   #1012
funkytuba
Spone to Proonerisms

^ apparently... in the iTunes store in my subconscious
Old 10-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #1013
Coffee
Cheeses Save

They just need to add some infra-red LED's to the screen and viola! (well, maybe also a bit of grease proofing of the case, and do something with the "don't touch it here spot" of course while they are at it or it just might turn off the heat elements in the middle of cooking your iBreakfast).
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #1014
lukkucairi
earth worker

how we touched and went our separate ways

OK so I'm lost in a goblin-infested forest somewhere, and the moon is huge and full - moonbeams through leaves light the floor of the forest with silver-blue flecks of light. seriously though, there's goblins in here with me. how did I get myself this lost...?

I find a bit of two-track road I can follow out of the forest, but more importantly I find one of the goblins' middens. and guess what? they have "Goblins-R-Us" fast food containers. somehow this makes them a lot less scary. the goblin version of Ronald McDonald is not meant to strike fear into the human heart.

sure enough here's one of those little goblin buggers now, and he takes my hand and says "could you help us out with something?" ...uh sure, I guess? he leads me and my cousin D up to a clearing on a ridge, where there's a stump of a tree that's been cut down many years before. "the stump is full of mycelium," the goblin says, "and it wants to fruit but it can't without some kind of shock intervention." so, basically, this mushroom mycelium is asking me to beat the crap out of the stump, shock it with electricity, so it can start to sporulate...?

"yep, mycelium is everywhere, and sometimes it only takes a little spark." I'm shown this image of my friend K, running a forest trail and tripping over a root. she throws out her hand to steady herself, and as her palm slaps against a nearby boulder, her rings strike a spark off the granite. when she lifts her hand, there's a perfect print of her palm and fingers in rapidly-growing tiny orange mushrooms. the mycelium had been living in the top couple of millimeters of the granite, breaking down the rock.

so back on the ridge, there's some faffing around with a car battery, and then D and I attack the stump with a hammer and a large carving knife. I concentrate on loosening up the grain on the top surface of the stump with the knife. the goblin looks on, obviously pleased. the surface of the stump is milky-gray with mycelial strands. D and I attack it for several minutes before the goblin is satisfied with our efforts. when we're done, I'm tired and sweating. the goblin takes us back to the road and thanks us. I think next time I go for a walk in the woods I'm going to bring a taser along for fun.

it's time to go to the theater, though, which we get to by crossing a dark field. I missed my husband so I have to tag along with "Ray," who isn't really paying attention to me. he hands our tickets to the door-goblin to use his dull paper-punch on, but doesn't make sure that they're separated do that the goblin can see that both of us have paid for seats. I'm annoyed, and I snatch away the fortune-cookie-like tickets and separate them and hand them back - the goblin lets us in. I find my husband sitting on the side, next to a hip-high trough of wet sand. there are little wire figures in the sand, little sculptures meant to hold our tickets like placeholders at a dinner table. I sit down and push my mangled ticket into one of them shaped like a cross between Dolly Parton and a duck. Ray and his friends sit exactly in front of me so I can't see the stage. gah!

there's a video screen next to the stage though, and I can see that. someone has taken the little lobster-creatures from Hieronymous Bosch's "Garden of Earthly Delights" and line-animated them in sepia. one little lobster-dude has grabbed ahold of the other one's arms, and is running and pushing them like a set of wheelbarrow handles. the other little lobster-dude's body is completely loose inside his shoulder sockets, so he rotates from his face onto his head and his back, and then tumbles over his legs onto his belly and back onto his face again. it's disturbing and kind of fascinating. he reminds me of this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJR9Fb5v-D8
Old 10-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #1015
lukkucairi
earth worker

blonde women worried about their dresses

tired of being possessed by the devil

black lace
Old 10-24-2010, 01:37 PM   #1016
lukkucairi
earth worker

a rubble of bones!

Last edited by lukkucairi : 01-05-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #1017
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

I was someone else. I felt like me, but I didn't know anyone around me, although they knew me.

The people who were apparently my family hand me my newborn daughter, whom they have been babysitting. They're sorry, they say, but she fell off of a rocking horse, and she's going to die. No one seems terribly upset about it; it's just how things are. I'm confused about what is happening and who everyone is, but I take the baby and try to feed her. She is lethargic and her eyes are going in different directions, but when I talk to her, she makes great effort to look at my face. I realize that she isn't at death's door necessarily, and I take her to the hospital. The family doesn't understand why I am bothering.

As I drive in an unfamiliar city, I am hoping I am not too late to help her.
brightpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:44 AM   #1018
lukkucairi
earth worker

a rubble of bones!

Last edited by lukkucairi : 01-05-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #1019
Marcus Bales

Location: In a coign of the cliff between lowland and highland, at the sea-down's edge between windward and lee, walled round with rocks as an inland island, the ghost of a garden fronts the sea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukkucairi View Post
a great deal of confusion, which ends with me like Liberty at the Barricades leading the human race in a fight against the alien overlords.
Nice outfit.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #1020
lukkucairi
earth worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Bales View Post
Nice outfit.
thank you. brassieres are overrated.

what have I done to deserve this?

been traveling so much, and we both just got home, and now we've gone and signed up for some stupid "improve yourself" workshop...landmark education or something like that. I have no idea why I would have done such a thing to myself except that Gret and John are here too, and Yun Yun. am I letting other people make my decisions again? goddammit.

so my husband and I and I arrive and find out that we're segregated into separate dorms. John can sleep in the ladies' dorm because he's (ostensibly) gay, but my husband has to go be with the other men. this makes no sense to me. plus the women's dorm is flooded to a depth of six inches throughout - not enough to make it impossible to live there, but enough to be a major drag. I'm on a bottom bunk, and it's so damp I might as well just be sleeping in the water.

I go along with things for a little while and then I'm just too fed up. I go to find hubby and I'm told that "it's past curfew and the doctors say you can't be out of your rooms." I make it through the night til the next morning, sleeplessly tossing in my soggy bunk, and then wake up to check my email, only to realize that if they see I'm online this early they'll think I'm an early riser all the time and they'll stick me with reveille duty (electric reveille, some glitchy .wav file to be played over rusty, waterlogged speakers). I'm about to throw a tantrum like a three year old, so I find a broom to go sweep the water around out on the verandah. wishful thinking that the water's draining away - I sweep it down the loading ramp, and it just comes back over the opposite edge.

earlier, a fiendish doctor who is euthanizing a family of four, with their consent. he's already killed the little girl while her mother held her and told her it was all OK, she was going to sleep now to wake up with Jesus. he's working on the little boy. I'm horrified, just paralyzed with horror. I ask the doctor what the hell he's doing, and the parents shush me and say "don't scare the children, they'll go to heaven all upset." it turns out that this family are being liquidated so that they can be reduced to statistics, and they apparently have no problem with that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: