ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 46 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 06-15-2006, 10:32 AM   #226
LeahDear
monkey

Never heard of it.. is it some kind of implant or drug?

Are the 4 periods per year any worse/heavier/more painful though? As much as I detest all the symptoms of the dreaded monthlies, surely it's better out than in if you know what I mean. Maybe I'm old fashioned but i kinda believe that as we were designed to menstruate once per month that's the way it should be.

I'd love to hear how seasonale works for you auntie, if I hear good reports then maybe I'll consider it..
LeahDear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:15 PM   #227
auntie aubrey
excursions

seasonalle is just like any other low-estrogen pill. it's basically like getting 3 packs of regular pills, but instead of giving you the week of green pills at the end, they just give you pink pills all the way through.

(which, incidentally, is a great way to ensure you'll never have your period on vacation. just skip the green pills and move on to your next pack.)

you do get a little bit of spotting in the second month because your body is like "wait a sec, why did i miss?" but after that your body just goes with it. and as far as the periods you actually DO get, they're no worse than any other. they don't last longer and they aren't any more uncomfortable.

in fact, according to my gyn (who, i should say, was ecstatic when i suggested going on it) your body will eventually respond by delivering lighter periods because it won't feel as much demand.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:20 PM   #228
auntie aubrey
excursions

oh, one last thing. there are studies that show that fewer periods could lead to a lowered risk of female-related cancers. because the demand is lessened, the hormones are more evenly regulated, there are fewer incidents of periodic changes in the organ structures, and therefore a reduced chance of malformations.

brief article, first i found on a google search. there's much more out there if you're interested.

Quote:
Women who regularly skip menstrual periods using methods including contraceptive pills may reduce their risk of getting some gynaecological cancers, scientists say.

Though the common perception is that regular menses means 'a good cleanout' but too much menstruation could cause several diseases including breast, ovarian and endometrial cancers, says Professor Ian Fraser, a professor of reproductive medicine at Australia's University of Sydney.

The fewer periods a woman has the better, he says, reported ABC science online.

"In our society women have many more periods than in primitive societies and each menstrual cycle leads to big swings in the ovarian hormones oestrogen and progesterone."

According to Fraser, this over stimulates the reproductive organs and the breasts.

"The uterus, lining of the uterus and breasts were not designed to cope with this and it causes some cells to grow and regress each month, which means a greater chance of error in the proliferation process of abnormal cells," he says.

In our society, girls menstruate earlier and women have more periods before giving birth.

Women from traditional societies however breastfeed for extended times, often conceive soon after their menses return, average five to six pregnancies and have an earlier menopause - all factors that reduce the number of periods they have in a lifetime.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:20 PM   #229
LeahDear
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie aubrey
seasonalle is just like any other low-estrogen pill. it's basically like getting 3 packs of regular pills, but instead of giving you the week of green pills at the end, they just give you pink pills all the way through.

(which, incidentally, is a great way to ensure you'll never have your period on vacation. just skip the green pills and move on to your next pack.)

you do get a little bit of spotting in the second month because your body is like "wait a sec, why did i miss?" but after that your body just goes with it. and as far as the periods you actually DO get, they're no worse than any other. they don't last longer and they aren't any more uncomfortable.

in fact, according to my gyn (who, i should say, was ecstatic when i suggested going on it) your body will eventually respond by delivering lighter periods because it won't feel as much demand.
wow.. thanks alot auntie
Old 06-15-2006, 01:26 PM   #230
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahDear
Are the 4 periods per year any worse/heavier/more painful though? As much as I detest all the symptoms of the dreaded monthlies, surely it's better out than in if you know what I mean. Maybe I'm old fashioned but i kinda believe that as we were designed to menstruate once per month that's the way it should be.
This is a common myth about birth control. On the pill, you aren't ovulating and building up a lining for the presumed fetus to cling to, so you don't need to shed what you haven't built up in your uterus! The "periods" that you get when using the pill are not shedding lining but the response of withdrawing from the hormones you are taking for the other 21 days. It is not uncommon (if you find the right pill) to have no bleeding at all, or only slight spotting, on the seven days off. And taking the birth control pill continuously is a commonly prescribed safe treatment for endometriosis.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:29 PM   #231
LeahDear
monkey

^^^ Thanks Trisherina

I've only been on the pill once and found myself feeling so sick all the time, not to mention swollen breasts. I've never tried it since.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:32 PM   #232
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

The particular combination of hormones in that one wasn't for you, then. There are a gazillion different combinations of mini pill out there now, so virtually anyone can find one that works for them with a few trials. (If you want to, of course; I'm not whoring for Pfizer.)
Old 06-15-2006, 01:36 PM   #233
LeahDear
monkey

Thanks.. I'll bear it in mind for the future
Old 06-15-2006, 01:39 PM   #234
auntie aubrey
excursions

holy crap, if you ever want to freak yourself out, google search "fewer periods" risk of cancer like i just did. get a load of this:

100 years ago most women experienced a lifetime total of 150 periods. now, women experience upwards of 450. (start your period at 13, have 13 per year until you're 50...)

450!!!
Old 06-15-2006, 01:45 PM   #235
LeahDear
monkey

tampax should be free
Old 06-15-2006, 01:48 PM   #236
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Ok, so any pregnancy scares while on Seasonale?
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:49 PM   #237
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahDear
tampax should be free
No, no. Playtex Beyond. And they should hand out Bextra for free. And those Playtex disposable heating pads. And chocolate. And popcorn. Together, in the same bowl.
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:10 PM   #238
magdalen
OOwdevie

Made a calculation:
started at 12, stopped at 52 -> 40 X 13 = 520 X 6 days= 3120 days of my life!!!
And now I'm growing FAT!

magdalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:20 PM   #239
auntie aubrey
excursions

Quote:
Originally Posted by priceyfatprude
Ok, so any pregnancy scares while on Seasonale?
now we're really venturing into TMI territory. i don't fully trust any oral contraceptive so i double up with VCF (spermacidal contraceptive film) anyway.

it's no different than with any other low-estrogen oral contraceptive. same risk factors. but one thing you rarely hear is that with low-estrogen (even just the monthly like yasmin, alesse, etc) pills are really fussy about time of day. so if you usually take it at 6 a.m. when you wake up every day, and you end up having a late morning and forget until say 2 p.m. on a saturday, you're going to want to be careful for the next few days.

but this does bring us to a very important point: 3 solid months of sexual freedom. gotta love that.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:13 PM   #240
LeahDear
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by priceyfatprude
No, no. Playtex Beyond. And they should hand out Bextra for free. And those Playtex disposable heating pads. And chocolate. And popcorn. Together, in the same bowl.
Totally! I'm gonna start a campaign You'll probably see me on the news in a couple of weeks

Last edited by LeahDear : 06-15-2006 at 03:21 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: