ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-19-2003, 09:31 AM   #1
JesusTitties
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

favorite quotes

i used to save and write down/type things in books that i read, along the way that i liked. thought id start a thread about it.
these are mine.

“Two things I do value a lot, intimacy and the capacity for joy, didn't seem to be on anyone else's list. I felt like the stranger in a strange land, and decided I'd better not marry the natives.”

-- Richard Bach, The Bridge Across Forever

“From time to time it's fun to close our eyes, and in that dark say to ourselves, 'I am the sorcerer, and when I open my eyes I shall see a world that I have created, and for which I and only I am completely responsible.' Slowly then, eyelids open like curtains lifting stage-center. And sure enough, there's our world, just the way we've built it.”

“That's what learning is, after all; not whether we lose the game, but how we lose and how we've changed because of it and what we take away from it that we never had before, to apply to other games. Losing, in a curious way, is winning.”

“It is by not always thinking of yourself, if you can manage it, that you might somehow be happy. Until you make room in your life for someone as important to you as yourself, you will always be searching and lost...”

''Passion is powerful...nothing was ever achieved without it, and nothing can take its place. No matter what you face in life, if your passion is great enough, you will find the strength to succeed. Without passion, lifehas no meaning. So put your heart, mind, and soul into even your smallest acts...this is the essence of passion. This is the essence of life.''

“I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude. We are for the most part more lonely when we go abroad among men than when we stay in our chambers. A man thinking or working is always alone, let him be where he will.”

-- Henry David Thoreau, Walden

"Accept yourself as yourself. If you don't, know that you'll go through: Years of depression, substance abuse, and an endless stream of soul murdering relationships where the other person is too normal to know that they've been with a hollow, mechanical cyborg. And even when you gain some resemblance to materialistic success, you'll never come close to filling the void."

---Colin Quinn
JesusTitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 10:12 AM   #2
Happy2BeMe
monkey

Movie Quotes

Almost Famous movie quotes.. basically anything from almost famous:

"They don't even know what it is to be a fan! Y'know? to truly love some
silly piece of music... or some band so much that it hurts."
- Sapphire, Almost Famous
Happy2BeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 12:15 PM   #3
malina
leaving

Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.
malina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 12:27 PM   #4
rmr

speaking of quotes......i got one of the best christmas cards EVER........not only did this guy put a picture of himself on the front of the card..........he honest to god quoted himself inside........man, why didn't i think of that!!!!
rmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 12:31 PM   #5
bealeblues
where's my salt?

oh i'm glad you finally got my card!
Old 12-19-2003, 12:37 PM   #6
rmr

life is what happens when your busy making other plans

john lennon
Old 12-19-2003, 12:46 PM   #7
bealeblues
where's my salt?

i need somebody who doesn't need me

j.d. morrison
Old 12-19-2003, 05:03 PM   #8
dalang
distant

“When the seventh veil flew away from Salome’s face, it was as if the girl had opened her mouth and burped out a bird-sized butterfly. Ellen Cherry’s first thought was, How beautiful she is! Her second thought was, Everybody’s got to figure it out for themselves.
Yes, that was it. The government couldn’t take care of you, no matter how much you paid into Social Security, or how many votes your political action committee may have bought. You couldn’t learn it in college; colleges chose largely to ignore it. Churches, conversely, were falling all over themselves to save you the trouble of thinking about it; they would hand you an answer as neat and tidy and definitive as your horoscope in the daily paper- and, unfortunately, just about as generic and every bit as speculative. Great books, paintings and music were helpful, in an inspirational way; nature even more so. Valuable clues were constantly dropping from the lips of philosophers, spiritual masters, gurus, shamans, gypsy circus girls and wild-talking tramps in the street. But they were clues, only. No self-proclaimed holy man could cut the mustard for you, and the ones who were truly holy would tell you so. Nor could you turn it over to some chatty disembodied entity channeled from the other side. (The dead are laughing at us, remember.) You couldn’t even get it from your mammy’s knee.
The illusion of the seventh veil was the illusion that you could get somebody else to do it for you. To think for you. To hang your cross. The priest, the rabbi, the imam, the swami, the philosophical novelist were traffic cops at best. They might direct you through a busy intersection, but they wouldn’t follow you home and park your car.
Was there a more difficult lesson for a human being to learn, a paradox harder to accept? Even though the great emotions, the great truths, were universal; even though the mind of humanity was ultimately one mind, still each and every single individual had to establish his or her own special, personal, particular, unique, direct, one-on-one, hands-on relationship with reality, with the universe, with the Divine. It might be complicated, it might be a pain in the ass, it might be, most of all, lonely- but it was the bottom line.
It was different for everybody as it was the same, so everybody had to take control of their own life, define their own death, and construct their own salvation. And when you are finished, you didn’t call the Messiah. He’d call you.”
-Tom Robbins

"If you want freedom and joy so much, can't you see it's not anywhere outside of you? Say you have it and you have it! Act as if it's yours, and it is! Richard what is so damned hard about that? But they didn't even hear, most of them. Miracles - like going to auto races to see the crashes, they came to me to see miracles. First it's frustrating and then after a while it just gets dull. I have no idea how the other messiahs could stand it."
--Richard Bach, Illusions
dalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 05:07 PM   #9
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

I am the captain of my own destiny.

Not sure who said it, but I like it.
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 05:11 PM   #10
bealeblues
where's my salt?

i am the master of my domain

-either george or jerry
Old 12-19-2003, 05:13 PM   #11
rmr

george
Old 12-19-2003, 05:16 PM   #12
bealeblues
where's my salt?

thanks rimmer

have a zagnut
Old 12-19-2003, 05:17 PM   #13
malina
leaving

i can't have sex with someone that i respect!
jerry
malina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 05:21 PM   #14
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Awwww, thanks you guys!!

priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 05:25 PM   #15
jaymirror
anartist

(Freely quoted as my brain remembers it)

"But i think i know the answer: it's only mistery. And i like it!"

From the soundtrack of "Subway"
jaymirror is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: