Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > DEBATE HALL
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 80 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-2005, 05:16 AM   #16
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisherina
I have a deep and abiding belief that some things may be unknowable, and that this is all right.
This is another part of my own personal beliefs.

I believe everything happens for a reason. But I don't always get to know the reason. And I'm ok w/that.
Quote:
::uploading second beer to the Peef:: xoxo
Thank you, dolly. *smooch*
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 10:08 AM   #17
craig johnston
dalai clique

Location: tea leaf towers - home of fine musical entertainment
same like smarty. i was in a hurry and that cher song
just popped into my head where it has remained.

i believe in the power of love.
i believe there is a force driving the universe which is neither good nor evil.
i believe that we don't know one percent of all there is to know.
i believe that we should treat others as we would wish to be treated.
i believe we all have an equal right to live happily on this earth regardless
of race, gender, sexual orientation or physical ability.
i believe that the human race has a huge unfulfilled potential.
i believe in the healing power of music.
i believe that one day my football team will be great again.
i believe in the power of laughter.

Last edited by craig johnston : 03-11-2005 at 02:50 PM.
craig johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:29 PM   #18
Saxifrage
monkey

^^^ I have always had a thing for Cher, mmmhmmh

My beliefs are not based on a theological concept, it just seems mystical because it is so odd. Quantum physics tells us that everything is made of the same base energy. I think that science is one day going to be able to break through what is considered magic and it will be understood for the natural force it is. Reading as much science fiction and fantasy as I have probably helped develop these ideas (with a little help from Stephen Hawking)

JudaoChristianity has served it purpose and should be put aside as have the old pagan religions. It kept people from eating tainted food, gave a primitive code of ethics in a time where your neighbors were always trying to kill you and take what is yours (the more things change the more they stay the same) Many people require an unseen all knowing watcher to keep them from doing horrible things.

The term Pro-life vexes me, I suppose I am pro-life as far as my life goes. Being alive is good. However I have a very merciless outlook on abortion, the planet is filling up fast, for some it is better never to know the life that they might have had. As much as I would like a bit of say so over my own potential unborn child it is the females decision, her body does all the work and procreation is 99% a female perogative. Men protesting abortion should be required to force a grapefruit out of their "pee pee" hole or shut the F*** up.

And Mr. Johnston, as far as love goes I believe that is a neuro chemical reaction that wears off after a time (1-3 years in my experiences), you had better marry a good friend so there will be something left to hold onto after the thrill is gone.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:07 PM   #19
craig johnston
dalai clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxifrage
I think that science is one day going to be able to break through what is considered magic and it will be understood for the natural force it is.
i hope there will always be magic.

Quote:
And Mr. Johnston, as far as love goes I believe that is a neuro chemical reaction that wears off after a time (1-3 years in my experiences), you had better marry a good friend so there will be something left to hold onto after the thrill is gone.
you aren't talking about love. you're talking about lust.
love is something far deeper and more substantial than
that. love exists between friends and in families as well
as with partners.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:21 PM   #20
Clytie
thundering is my favorite

all things are possible to him that believes

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.
bound by the rich red that runs coarsing
united we stand
stronger than before
able to face the dark
with hands entwined
Clytie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 02:34 PM   #21
craig johnston
dalai clique

^^^^^
it's just so divisive. believe in me or .......!

i don't want to believe in a god who treats us
this way, even if i could.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:52 PM   #22
Saxifrage
monkey

Sorry Clytie, I just can't buy that. Too much suffering in the world is the will of god.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:42 PM   #23
Clytie
thundering is my favorite

i didnt ask you to 'buy it' u wanted to know what i believed. so i told you.
bound by the rich red that runs coarsing
united we stand
stronger than before
able to face the dark
with hands entwined
Clytie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:53 PM   #24
Saxifrage
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clytie
i didnt ask you to 'buy it' u wanted to know what i believed. so i told you.
You are quite right, my apologies. I was looking for something a bit more personal but that's fine.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:00 PM   #25
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

We all have our favourite books. This is closer to what I believe about religion and the unexplained:

One man’s “magic” is another man’s engineering. “Supernatural” is a null word.

The most preposterous notion that H. sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in all history.

Men rarely (if ever) manage to dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child.

-- Lazarus Long, Time Enough for Love
Old 03-11-2005, 04:53 PM   #26
Aphrodite
Myth Demeanour

My beliefs are not religious in that they are not organized and they don't require any ceremony nor rituals. This will sound muddled, as it is a confusing perception.

I think that life is created by matter which is charged with an energy. The energy is palpable but immeasurable by todays tools. A walk in the woods can leave you feeling recharged. Like light waves, or sound waves, flow and change, so does the energy flowing from life.

I think that keeping our world alive and helping it to thrive is everyone's responsibility. It keeps us alive. We feed on the energy from living matter to continue to live. We are made of the elements. We are mechanical marvels with an energy given to, and taken from, our environment.

When I stand near the lake at sunset, I feel like the stale busy world washes away. When I drive on a day when the sunrise is pink and blue, a feel fresh and new. When I see a deer nibbling on leaves, I feel like I was privy to a secret, nature granted to me. When I see a hawk soaring through the sky, I feel more blessed than any church could instill.

That is the energy I would call my beliefs. I feel that if I do the right thing based on my concept of right and wrong, then it is what I was meant to do. My conscience is clean and my energy is balanced. If I do something wrong, and know it, then I am forcing discord on myself and those around me.

I think that at death, my energy will go to different places. Break apart into minerals and nutrients to create more energy in another life. I believe that my soul, what makes me an individual, will continue to live in the memories of those who knew me, and in the history I have left behind. My goal is to make myself a positive history and a pleasant memory.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:01 PM   #27
Smartypants
MR. Smartypants to you.

Location: Oh, YOU PEOPLE go ahead and call it "Frisco." See if I care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clytie
all things are possible to him that believes

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig johnston
i believe that we don't know one percent of all there is to know.
I believe the amount we know is considerably less than one percent.

I believe that Clytie (and everyone who believes as she does) will never learn anything more.

"I don't think God wants us to believe in him. If he wanted us to believe in him he'd do something about it -- like exist perhaps!" --Linda Smith
Smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 05:03 PM   #28
Saxifrage
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisherina
We all have our favourite books. This is closer to what I believe about religion and the unexplained:

One man’s “magic” is another man’s engineering. “Supernatural” is a null word.

The most preposterous notion that H. sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in all history.

Men rarely (if ever) manage to dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child.

-- Lazarus Long, Time Enough for Love
Excellent, I have read Methusalah's Children but have yet to pick up "Time enough for Love" Heinlein was an wonderfull writer, I have the book "Grumbles From the Grave" which is a compilation of his corespondence with his agent. Very interesting stuff.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:15 PM   #29
Feed the Monkey
Go on, dare ya......

Hey Smartypants.

I'm a bit confused by your list. All your beleifs seem to stem from negatives. We didn't ask you what you don't beleive, we asked you what you do beleive. Your life philospohy. How do you as a human being relate to the universe around you. "I don't believe in the Bible" isn't an answer. All you seem to want to do is refute religion in your post. That kinda wasn't the point was it? Let's have a look:

"1) I believe that science, when confronted with information that disproves its theories, accepts the evidence and continues in other directions to seek the truth, whereas religion does not."

We didn't ask why do you think religion is inferior to science. If science is your beleif then you merely have to say "I beleive science holds many of the answers to lifes questions" Simple.

"2) I believe that the bible was written by men to record an oral history of storytelling. I believe it can be entertaining literature, but isn't nearly as well written or believable as Hamlet, Death of a Salesman, or any episode of The West Wing or the Sopranos."

We didn't ask you "Do you beleive in the Bible". What is the point of this? You're falling into just another anti-christian rut. Not the place for it...

3") I believe that man by nature is curious -- about our origins and how things work and about the meaning of life, if there is one. And I believe that science offers the only hope of satisfying our curiosity. Religion, while perhaps comforting to ignorant and/or frightened people, provides no answers in these matters."

Finally, i thought i would never get something. Man by nature is curious, I'd say this was the first concrete belief we actualy had, but then it just devolves into more religion bashing. I would take note that I am neither ignorant and/or frightened and my religion offers me much more than comfort. It does give me focus and direction in my life and allows me to become a more enlightened person.

"4) I believe that even if there turns out to be intelligent life on other planets, it will not be in the form of humanoid figures with pointy ears and large foreheads, but something heretofore unimaginable. They certainly will have evolved to whatever state of development without the aid of a god nor having ever heard the name Jesus Christ."

Yeah, cool. I'm with you. But why the Jesus Christ bashing?

"5) I believe that Christians who believe only the "good" parts of the bible in order to justify their Christianity are either ignorant of the bible's contents or in an amazing state of denial."

Is this really part of a belief system that hopes you cope with the day? When troubles arrise in your life do you go "It's OK because Christians only believe the good parts of the Bible??" What?

"6) I believe that if it were not for man's insistence on his fellow man's adherence to outdated religious teachings, the world would be a more peaceful place."

No qualms with that. But I suppose that can be said of anything. No man should insist anything on another man, unless it is true and just. I (Ie, one man says to another, you mustn't murder)

"7) I believe that had primitive man invented pants, the sun appearing each morning on the horizon would have scared those pants off of him, and so it would have been reasonable for him to assume the sun was some great power worthy of worship. And while I might understand that in Moses' time Christianity may have seemed more enlightened, I cannot for the life of me understand why modern man clings to those beliefs any more than I would understand if he still quivered in fear each morning when the sun appeared on the horizon."

Again one final dig at religion. If you want to start a thread: "I think religion is bad and all who follow are morons" then fine. But that's not what we're talking about here. Sax asked what our beliefs are. Not what your beleifs aren't. I just think it's very easy for you to poo poo others beliefs, but very difficult for you to actualy say what yours are. And I think that if this truly forms part of your life philosophy, then you are equally as guilty of the ignorance of those you speak out so much against.

Come on SP. We wanna know what you actually believe!!!

Liked yours though CJ. Which footy team dya support?
I want more. More oneness, less categories, open hearts, no strategy. Decisions based upon faith and not fear, people who live right now and right here. I want the wisdom that wise men revere. I want more.
Feed the Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 06:32 PM   #30
dinzdale
King of the špatnýs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed the Monkey
It does give me focus and direction in my life and allows me to become a more enlightened person.
and more modest and understanding of others too.
dinzdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: