ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > DEBATE HALL
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-06-2004, 10:55 PM   #1
zenbabe
Lollypop!

I hate these kinds of stories

This is fvcking madness. How many have to die before they yank their fvcking licenses? How many? I don't give a shit if they have all the time in the world to attend every poll / election; If you're over 65 you need to be tested, and grounded if necessary. 85 years old! Yank their gawd damn licenses NOW! Driving is not a god given right. It's not like you're keeping them from their jobs. Take the fvcking bus. Stop killing people for your own vanity!

Man, 85, Plows Into Truck, Critically Injuring Landscaper
Police Are Investigating Incident

POSTED: 2:06 PM PST January 6, 2004
UPDATED: 4:06 PM PST January 6, 2004

SAN DIEGO -- Police said a landscaper was severely injured Tuesday and not expected to live after an elderly man drove his car into the groundskeeper's truck.

The accident in the 5900 block of Madra Avenue in Del Cerro took place around 10:30 a.m. Officials said that the 85-year-old driver of a 1997 Lincoln Continental was headed north when he plowed into a legally parked Toyoto Stakebed truck.

Police said the landscaper, who appeared to be in his 40s, was standing by the truck talking on a cell phone when he was struck by the Lincoln, which forced him under the truck.

Although rescuers were able to extricate the man from beneath the vehicle, authorities expect that his injuries will be fatal.

Authorities, who are still investigating the incident, have not yet released the identities of the driver or the pedestrian who died.

-Dr. Seuss
zenbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 03:39 AM   #2
rapscalious rob

Seems like we’ve been seeing a lot of such stories recently, huh? Granted, these people probably make up a small percentage of geriatric drivers, the stories nonetheless seem to indicate an alarming trend and Your point is well-taken that it would be in everybody’s best interest for this problem to be addressed.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:09 AM   #3
masterofNone
________

Quote:
the stories nonetheless seem to indicate an alarming trend
yep. the alarming trend is toward over reporting of geriatric car accidents. statistically, older drivers are by far the safest drivers on the road no matter how you examine the numbers (per mile, per driver, etc.). it appeals to our common sense notions that enfeebled old folks must become poorer drivers so we don't object to the stories, in fact we generally nod and feel re-enforced in our beliefs. but the facts don't support these notions. if you took any segment of the population and reported everytime someone from that segment was the cause of a fatal accident, before too long the population would be screaming for the revocation of their licenses as a group. but how fair would this discussion seem if the reporting was focused on blacks, or hispanics, or asians or blonds? a case could just as easily made against each of these group's driving records if the statistics were ignored. it's in these sort of stories where reporters ignore the statistical evidence and drum up stigmatizing sentiment that journalism as a profession lets down the culture.
masterofNone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 08:45 PM   #4
Red Princess
thread soiler

actually the state of california has addressed this issue. an impaired elderly person's license can be revoked at the request of their doctor. if you are aware of someone who should no longer be on the road call their doctor's office. it is the reluctance of family members to report their parents adding to the problem.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:52 PM   #5
zenbabe
Lollypop!

old people on the road piss me off all the time, especially the highways...it is safer to drive to fast than it is to drive to slow....

I am not saying take away their license to drive as a whole group, just that they should be tested at least once a year.

They are old man!!!!

-Dr. Seuss
Old 01-10-2004, 12:12 PM   #6
masterofNone
________

oh don't get me wrong. i hate old people. their wrinkly skin and greying hair gives me the willies. i especially am uncomfortable with their stories about life before the game cube. it's just that if you're going to deny someone the right to drive, i think at least, that it should be based on the results of a uniformly applied capabilities test and not on some arbitrary physical difference. because we all know if we start with the old people, we'll have to ban oriental drivers next... and can all women be far behind?
Old 01-10-2004, 01:39 PM   #7
zenbabe
Lollypop!

I definatly think all oriental drivers should be banned. That is one sterio type that cannot be denied.

And I think spoilers should be banned too, just because they are silly.

I know you like to sound right all the time mon, and paint a picture that has nothing to do with the actual argument. It has to suck to get old, it will happen to all of us one day. Giving up your right to drive is not easy. But things break down with age....

-Dr. Seuss
Old 01-10-2004, 01:51 PM   #8
masterofNone
________

tell me about it.

i got a prostate the size of a bowling ball.
Old 01-10-2004, 01:53 PM   #9
zenbabe
Lollypop!

ouch

-Dr. Seuss
Old 01-10-2004, 01:54 PM   #10
masterofNone
________

ha!
Old 01-10-2004, 03:42 PM   #11
masterofNone
________

but, yeah i do like to sound right all the time. i'm busted there. i'd actually rather be right all the time but the universe seems to conspire against that.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:25 PM   #12
catbelly
monkey

LOL zen I am sending out a telepathic signal to all my "oriental" relatives to follow you around on the highway

Seriously, though. I really hate that statements like that can just pass by without comment here at this board. I know not everyone feels like that, and I do recognize the people here who stand up to racist bullshit ... it just grosses me out to see comments like that and no reaction whatsoever. It makes me feel like racism is supported here, and that makes me uncomfortable even being here. I would really like to know what Ze thinks about this, actually.

FWIW I think MoN's post about stereotyping older drivers as being shitty was right on. Of course if someone's physical capabilities prevent them from driving properly / well, they should not be able to have a license. Of course people's capabilities deteriorate with age. It's not a given, though, that people's capabilities deteriorate at the same rate, some people's capabilities that affect driving may not deteriorate at all.
catbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 08:06 PM   #13
rapscalious rob

Ain’t too many folks going here, let alone posting here It’s almost as slow as the “good reads” forum. I certainly didn’t notice that post, or I woulda responded…

Anyway, it would be understandable for drivers from China, where red means go and green means stop.

Here’s an idea: why don’t we use bent space and quantum-entangled worm holes? C’mon, man! We’re still using rooty-poo cars and airplanes? IT’S 2004, FOR GOD’S SAKE!! I WANT A TELEPORTER!!!!!!!
Old 01-10-2004, 08:09 PM   #14
rapscalious rob

of course, if you make a mistake, you end up looking like one of ze’s face collages. And I’ll bet teleportion leaves a horrible headache…
Old 01-11-2004, 02:48 PM   #15
zenbabe
Lollypop!

children, children...twas only a joke....lighten up for god's sake. Yes, reactionary....

People passed the age of 65 should get tested every year in order to keep their drivers license. This should be a law.

-Dr. Seuss

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: