Stephi_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:01 AM   #107
Stephi_B
waaaaaaa :)

Comet brightens mysteriously by a factor of a million

22:04 25 October 2007
NewScientist.com news service
Maggie McKee

A comet usually too faint to be seen with the naked eye has brightened by a factor of a million since Tuesday, suggesting its surface may have cracked open and expelled clouds of dust and gas. Astronomers are scrambling to observe the strange object, which is likely to fade in the coming days and weeks.
Comet 17P/Holmes, which orbits the Sun every seven years on a path that takes it from the distance of Jupiter's orbit to about twice that of Earth's, is usually 25,000 times too dim to be seen with the naked eye. But since 23 October, it has brightened by a million times and now resembles a bright yellow star.
"This is equivalent to the planet Saturn suddenly becoming as bright as the Full Moon," David Morrison, senior scientist at the NASA Astrobiology Institute in Moffett Field, California, US, wrote in an email newsletter.
Comets do sometimes show extreme changes in brightness. They are thought to occur when the Sun's heat vaporises newly exposed ice on the comet, blasting dust off its surface. Sunlight reflecting off the dust increases the comet's brightness.
Fresh ice
So it is possible that a crack has opened up on the comet's nucleus, which is less than about 3 kilometres across, exposing fresh ice to the Sun.
This is not the first time the comet has been caught brightening. In fact, it had brightened to become faintly visible to the naked eye when it was discovered by an observer named Edwin Holmes in 1892. It faded, then brightened again the following year before returning to obscurity.
Astronomers observed it during its close passes with the Sun in 1899 and 1906, then lost it again until 1964, when Brian Marsden, former director of the Minor Planet Center at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics in Massachusetts, US, correctly predicted its position.
"Since then, it's been behaving well – until now," says Marsden.
Comet Holmes can be found in the constellation Perseus.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:48 AM   #108
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

This is for limb pain after amputation rather than what you have, but I wonder if it might have some effect? They seem related to me, in some way.

By Gene Emery
Wed Nov 21, 5:07 PM ET

BOSTON (Reuters) - Viewing the reflected image of an intact limb in a mirror can fool the mind into thinking that a lost leg or foot still exists, dramatically relieving phantom limb pain, researchers reported on Wednesday.

At least 9 out of 10 amputees report feeling sometimes-severe pain in the missing limb, often the result of a sensation that the arm or leg is stuck in the wrong position. The sensation can be excruciating and pain drugs often do little to help.

But some studies have suggested that using a mirror to trick the mind into thinking the lost limb is still there may help. Doctors do not understand why it works, but it appears to help a confused brain reconcile sensations coming from the severed nerves.

Dr. Jack Tsao, a Navy neurologist at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, asked 22 volunteers, most of whom had lost part of a leg in Iraq, to try one of three therapies.

With the mirror technique, patients saw a reflected image of their intact limb as they spent 15 minutes a day trying to move legs and feet. The setup gave the illusion that the missing limb was present and moving normally.

Another group looked at a mirror covered by an opaque sheet as they tried to perform the same task. A third group was asked to close their eyes and spend 15 minutes imagining their limb moving normally.

During the first four weeks of treatment, pain intensity dropped dramatically in the mirror group, going from an average score of 30 to about 7 on scale up to 100. Every person in that group reported less pain.

For those looking at the covered mirror, their average pain score increased to about 60, in part because only one volunteer said he felt less pain while three said their pain became worse.

Among people who imagined their limb moving, the pain score increased to about 60 after the first week, but then rapidly diminished.

Then, during the next four weeks, all the patients were switched to the mirror technique. Their pain scores diminished significantly in eight out of nine cases.

"The majority of people got some relief. The range went from some relief to completely gone," Tsao said in a telephone interview. "We were surprised that the effect was so strongly positive.""

The team is planning a similar test in people who have lost arms.

The idea of mirror therapy has been around for at least a decade, but it has not been widely adopted because "there's never been a controlled study done before," Tsao said.

The technique may relieve pain by helping the brain reconcile what the body is feeling with what the eyes are seeing, Tsao said.

"Although the underlying mechanism accounting for the success of this therapy remains to be elucidated, these results suggest that mirror therapy may be helpful in alleviating phantom pain in an amputated lower limb," his team wrote in a letter to the New England Journal of Medicine.

"It's certainly my hope that more rehab centers will try this," Tsao said.
brightpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:36 PM   #109
Stephi_B

T Tauri and Hind's Variable Nebula
Old 12-20-2007, 10:20 AM   #110
zero

zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:25 PM   #111
T.I.P.
balancing actor

sexxyy Boris Antonov

T.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:25 PM   #112
T.I.P.
balancing actor

fastest metro ever

Old 12-26-2007, 05:27 PM   #113
T.I.P.
balancing actor

Optimus "not really in his" Prime rides the Antonov

Old 01-11-2008, 09:43 AM   #114
Stephi_B

Old 01-11-2008, 10:47 AM   #115
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Old 03-06-2008, 12:01 AM   #116
T.I.P.
balancing actor

today i felt the urge to send Frieda a hug

* HUG *
Old 03-06-2008, 05:35 AM   #117
Frieda
in limbo

aw

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:17 AM   #118
Stephi_B

Old 03-23-2008, 02:15 AM   #119
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

the latest peep show
Old 03-24-2008, 09:33 AM   #120
Frieda
in limbo

^ neat! amazing how creative people are,wow!

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: