ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > Digital Media and Learning Competition > Ideas
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2007, 01:08 PM   #1
denito

A space for learning

OK, so over the past few months i've been kicking around an idea for something just like this.

Basically it is an online community centred around learning where every member is both teacher and student.

Everyone puts together courses which are entirely modular. It can be made up of any number of things, video, audio, text, other courses, whatever. It can be gathered from anywhere on the web, or it can be original content.

The modular nature of the courses is important. People are encouraged to build courses by combining others.

If the teacher of a course wants the students to produce work, or have discussions, or contribute to the course, or teach a course of their own, or whatever, these are all options, but there is compelete freedom on the part of the teacher as to what it means to be a student of the course. Signing up for a course would be much like subscribing to a channel on youtube.

I've got nothing on the technical side, but there's the idea. I guess I would sum it up as a blank slate, a free and organised place where people can come together to learn and teach.
denito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
ROBA
Instruction Designer

Now you're talking my language... learning objectives, activities and collaboration.

I think for the purposes of getting stuff done, we're gonna need to establish the scope of the learning. Will it be skills-based learning? Classroom type learning... selff-paced... or a combination of them all...

Probably need to determine a sample curriculum for the submission.
ROBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:38 PM   #3
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by denito View Post
Basically it is an online community centred around learning where every member is both teacher and student.
I like that. It's how things work in the best spontaneously-arising learning situtations.
brightpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:05 PM   #4
kungfuiest

I really think this idea has a lot of potential, could it be a "second-life" thing? I am thinking like galleries, museums, informational displays, etc. that could be explored interactively. Thinking back to my experience in architecture school I had to learn everything on my own, which as a method has its advantages. However since time is always limited sometimes projects could have used a springboard. A head start by learning concepts from those who have done it before. Sharing concepts, pitfalls to watch out for, critique, etc. not necessarily sharing solutions. This could then build on one generation to another. Its key goals higher quality, better solutions, and acceleration. A virtual built environment where teacher/student creates the gallery and students/teachers interact in the environment learning and teaching together. The difference from real life being the endless capacity of a database to remember and to be searched.

Last edited by kungfuiest : 08-20-2007 at 03:08 PM. Reason: additional thought
kungfuiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:11 PM   #5
BobofBobs
monkey

This looks good--self sustaining. It seems to me like a hyperextension of peer tutoring. Those people who are good at math and understand how to communicate can share. It would also be cool to have it localized but also exportable, so the teacher-networks can distribute it virally but everything is ultimately user-tailored.
BobofBobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:38 PM   #6
denito

I was really worried that I was too breif or didn't get the point across properly, but it seems I'm finally in the right company.

ROBA - the type of learning can be anything. Someone can teach a piano lesson, someone else can teach linear algebra, someone else can teach how to change a flat tire. For the submission we will have to give examples of what we perceive will be the most common or powerful uses of it, but we should leave it open for it to be used in ways we can't imagine.

Kungfuiest - I like it, if we have the ability to make it an immersive 3d world that would be really good. I guess it will depend on what technical skills we have amongst us and what standard of technology is in play when it is released. Perhaps immersive 3d will have to be an option, but not the only way to navigate the lesson space.
denito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:46 PM   #7
bigmaggie

I believe there is a project like this in the works called Supercool School:
http://www.supercoolschool.com/
bigmaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:09 PM   #8
Aesahaettr
sci guy (I try)

Sounds like a good start. Big challenge, though: quality control. How do you stop misconceptions and false data from spreading?

The tutoring system in real life is free-form. But students are periodically tested against academic standards when they return to the classroom. Tutors who have a negative impact on student performance are weeded out.

In your proposed system, how do you put standards in place, and how do you make sure instructors meet them?
Aesahaettr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: