ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2003, 03:44 PM   #1
Eiggam
This is my favorite site!

Airline Baggage & Person Searches!

Anyone else experience this????.....
My boyfriend was going on a business trip with a colleague. When they arrived to check in, my guy was told that he had to have his bag searched. While he was a bit miffed, he understands that this is what flying is all about in America now, and just went with it. However, the guards that were searching his bag, were extremely rude, and they were just throwing his carefully ironed/folded clothes into a pile on the table. He asked them nicely to please be careful and asked if they were planning on putting them back the way they were found. One of the guards said, “Are you kidding?” then totally ignored him. Needless to say, my boyfriend was really pissed at this point.

Once they finished and got checked in, they went to the gate, where he was “randomly” pulled for a body search (yeah, random my ass!) At this point, he was even more upset and as the guard started wanding him, he said, in a joking manner, “Man, you guys must really think I have a bomb, want me to drop my pants?”

Immediately, guards, police, and FBI guys came from all over. They whisked him aside and began harassing (I mean, questioning) him. They took bomb sniffing dogs to the airplane and took his bag off. They confiscated his wallet, asked him about his job, home and me, etc.

Then, after his plane was taking off down the runway, they said, “Ok, well you are ok, and here is a ticket on the next flight, which leaves in about 4 ˝ hours!” They also informed him that his name is now on some airline/FBI warning list and for the rest of his life, he and his travel companions will be subjected to complete searches.

I have since done some on-line research and discovered that there is some “profiling” going on, and it turns out that it is likely that because there are 2 other people in the US with his exact name (first, middle, last) and both of them have some anti-govt affiliation, they are on the list, which means that is probably why my guy got profiled!

What are your thoughts?
Old 05-16-2003, 03:49 PM   #2
Red Princess
thread soiler

they didn't have to be rude about it, very unprofessional. however, in airports here there are BIG signs all around that say any mention of explosives or weapons will be taken seriously. not a real good thing to try to make jokes about. as far as profiling, i am sure it is being done on a regular basis and unless the supreme court steps in it will continue
Old 05-16-2003, 04:02 PM   #3
Eiggam

You know, I have had several people tell me about the signs being posted everywhere about that, but honestly, we have flown 6 times since 9/11 and I have never seen any of those signs... (and I am usually a very observant person)
Old 05-16-2003, 04:18 PM   #4
Red Princess
thread soiler

in what airport did this happen?
Old 05-16-2003, 04:19 PM   #5
Frieda
in limbo

don't you know?? NEVER say the word "bomb" in an airport!

(watch "meet the parents" )

bombbombbombbombbombbombbombbombbombbombbombbombbo mbbombbombbombbombbombbombbombbomb

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 04:23 PM   #6
Eiggam

MCI (Kansas City)
and He knows that he probably shouldn't have said it, but he was just trying to make light of the situation, as it was getting very intense for some reason and he was feeling extremely uncomfortable. Granted, he takes responsibilty for what he said and realizes that it was a poor choice of words, however, it seems that the treatment he received was extremely harsh.... maybe I am wrong....
Old 05-16-2003, 04:24 PM   #7
Frieda
in limbo

Quote:
Originally posted by Eiggam
MCI (Kansas City)
and He knows that he probably shouldn't have said it, but he was just trying to make light of the situation, as it was getting very intense for some reason and he was feeling extremely uncomfortable. Granted, he takes responsibilty for what he said and realizes that it was a poor choice of words, however, it seems that the treatment he received was extremely harsh.... maybe I am wrong....
that sounds exactly like that movie i mentioned before.. you should rent it! hahaha

(i'm sorry, i probably shouldn't laugh.. i get always get searched in airports too. i had to take off my socks once.. i was wearing bright pink nail polish on my toenails. that was quite a surprise.)

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 04:26 PM   #8
Eiggam

Actually, it is funny that you mention that movie... that is the movie that we rented the night we met and had our first date. The reason the similarity is not familiar, is because we never finsihed the movie
Old 05-16-2003, 04:31 PM   #9
Deviate
Butt-F***ing the World

i have to consciously chant to myself "do not say bomb, do not say bomb" when i'm at an airport. my initial instinct in any uncomfortable is to say the most inappropriate thing possible.

every time i go through a metal detector i get the heebie jeebies. i could be stripped down to my skivvies and still think the thing is gonna go banshee on me.

and everytime when i make it through without it wailing i want to say, "oh they were right, then they CAN'T detect the bomb with a regular metal detector"

-st.
Deviate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 04:35 PM   #10
Red Princess
thread soiler

remind me never to travel with you
Old 05-16-2003, 04:35 PM   #11
Eiggam

Thanks for the laugh, Dev!
I have had an absolute and literal day from Hell and I really needed that!
Old 05-16-2003, 04:42 PM   #12
red
elite rabble

My husband has been pulled a couple of times and most times they have been okay, but this one time the inspector was really impatient. She couldn't figure out how to undo a strap inside his suitcase so she just broke the strap!

I've been pulled at Gatwick, but that because I forgot I had a corkscrew in my pack. (D'OH!) The people at Gatwaick were very nice and didn't throw my stuff around. We had bought the corkscrew to open wine up in France and I forgot where I stowed it.

I think the U.S. inspectors are power hungry assholes.
Old 05-17-2003, 03:11 PM   #13
agentsmith
rap geisha

my bag is always searched at stadiums......maybe its the shifty eyes.
Old 05-17-2003, 07:52 PM   #14
Hermione
monkey

every time I travel.. I notice my family and I are always pulled off to side to get searched or harassed. I think it is because I am brown..

nonetheless it bugs the crap out of me.
Hermione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 08:39 PM   #15
malina
leaving

Quote:
I think it is because I am brown..
that was my first thought... not from personal experience but i have friends this happened to ( unfortunately, this happens all the time )
malina is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: