ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2007, 11:00 AM   #1
Red2
banned

Newbies introduction

hi guys as I am sure you have noticed by now by the looks of the current events board you have a lot of new users here now. I found this board and saw that it looked like a really nice place to come. I was right. You all seem to be very nice and we just wanted to say Hi and thanks for welcoming us.

I started this thread so that we could introduce ourselves to you and get to know you guys better.

As you will see from our posts in Current Events we will argue on some subjects and at times the debates can get pretty heated and we might even stoop to calling each other names however when its all said and done we are a big family and love one another. Most of us have known one another for as much as 5 or 6 years now. We've become like family and are close. We may be a little dysfunctional but we are good people from all over the world.

I will start by introducing myself. I am Red2 I live in the US and I am here to discuss the events, chat, have a good time and get to know each of you lovely people. I hope that in time you will accept us all as part of your family as well.

Thanks for being patient with us.
Take Care all,
Red2
Red2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:27 AM   #2
Stephi_B
waaaaaaa :)

Hi

Thanx for enduring our invasion!

My name's Stephi, from Germany (more precisely: a Lower Bavarian girl living in Berlin). Like to read & post current events or chat a bit while my computer just works for me. Don't like fixed categories and have a passion for long nested sentences and lots of (...) additions and smileys...

Damn curious to get to know you folks You don't bite, or?
Stephi_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:46 AM   #3
nowhereman
monkey

Hello everyone

Thank you for opening your doors to many newcomers, myself included. While I am here, I look forward to spirited debate and not purposely disrespecting your home in the process as I get to know all of you.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:02 PM   #4
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

I'm a relative newbie, too. Everyone seems bright and lovely, and nobody's bitten me yet. Perhaps I just don't hang around in the right threads.

I heard somebody got beard burn in the Friday pub thread last week.

which reminds me...
brightpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
Red2
banned

Brightpearl

Happy birthday. BTW if you get lucky and stick around long enough you might just get that bite from someone. Never know.
Red2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:12 PM   #6
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

OMG I don't want one!! Nobody PM me!!

brightpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:46 PM   #7
kjh62
Custom User Title

Heh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightpearl View Post
Everyone seems bright and lovely, and nobody's bitten me yet.
Well hell, I'm leaving then.

But seriously, it's nice to be here. I'm looking forward to some stimulating conversation. And a bit of inane, pointless conversation, as well.

Thanks, everyone, for allowing a few escapees from the ICQ psyche ward to take refuge on your message board.
kjh62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 01:30 PM   #8
Medic54

Thumbs up Introducing Myself

Hi I'm Medic54. Looking forward to posting here.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:33 PM   #9
Earthling
Human User

Cool Earthling here

We are...er...I am among you !

I'm funny...

I AM ! I AM ! I AM !
*don't listen to them other guys... *
Old 05-04-2007, 06:10 PM   #10
nowhereman
monkey

TM

Do you have PM capability?
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:27 PM   #11
Tennessee Man
monkey

NWM

Yes, but problem there also. Check your gmail email acct, you've got mail.

Tennessee Man
Tennessee Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:47 PM   #12
zefrank
-------------

it seems to me that above all this is not an issue of newness or of seniority, but one of political affiliation and viewpoint.

the new block of members seem to bring with them a conservative world view at a scale which has yet to be seen on this board.

discussion of current of events can mean many things, but it rarely means actual discussion - more often it means a regurgitation of shared viewpoints - something i am sure this board has been guilty of as well.

this is the challenge we face right now, not only here but in the rest of the country: the fracturing of opinion into small and clustered spin cycles.

i am willing to have a forum that has varied and strong viewpoints, but only as long as it doesn't become a pissing ground: a place where people plant extreme viewpoints only to provoke and with no willingness to listen or debate in a respectful way.

someone suggested that they didn't want to feel like they were walking on eggshells. unfortunately political debate right now, with a war on our hands, is far more like walking on landmines and should be treated with the same care and respect.

this forum is part of a larger site and gets traffic from people of all ages, beliefs, and backgrounds. to some extent this place and the content that you post here represents the site. what that means is difficult to define - but i will not devote energy, money or space on my server to a forum that consists of a stream of nazi and klan allegations against president carter, nor endless pictures of president bush wearing devil horns, nor 9/11 conspiracy theories.

i fail to see how that is a discussion of current events, and there are plenty of places to participate in that sort of thing online.

i gather from prior posts that some of you came here mainly for the features, unfortunately you are stuck with the rest of the baggage as well.
zefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:03 PM   #13
Tennessee Man
monkey

zefrank

You make the rules here. Those that can go by them can stay, the others may leave, however, whenever you have a discussion on a current event issue with opposing opinions, you'll have debate. I like what this board has to offer its users and yes staying here will take some minor adjustments on my part, that I understand. Just having the board management listen & being able to discuss things with is a bonus. Thank you for your time. You also have my personal email if you wish to discuss anything.

Tennessee Man
Tennessee Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:49 PM   #14
phoenix
monkey

Hi everyone

I'm phoenix. I'm from "the other place" too. I rarely post there but do read it. I don't post there much because I just can't be bothered with all the BS that goes on. I agree with some posters there and disagree with others but I just keep it to myself because I know as soon as I say something, the ones that disagree will have something nasty to say. I've seen the name calling, the threats...I've had some of it thrown my way too just for agreeing with someone else. I don't need that. I have enough BS to deal with at work and in real life in general. Some of what is said by some posters is just good for a laugh. We can all use a good laugh to start off the day. We're all supposed to be adults and I think some have forgotten that as adults, we can have differing opinions...it doesn't make him right and her wrong...we should be able to agree to disagree.
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:20 PM   #15
auntie aubrey
excursions

i don't understand how this thread is 4 pages long. dude pays for the server space, dude gets to make the rules. period.

i was welcomed with open arms when i registered, and i've never been made to feel unwelcome since. i don't know why i would turn around and spit in the face of the community by complaining that i can't be the asshole i wish i could be. there are plenty of places on the grande olde interwebs where you can be a prick. why insist on doing it here?

i would think this concept be conveyed and comprehended within, say, a page and a half. the ongoing insistence to the contrary is baffling.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: