Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > CURRENT EVENTS
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2004, 11:09 AM   #1
Hyakujo's Fox
left hanging

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
Cool

In a secret Paris cavern...

Police in Paris have discovered a fully equipped cinema-cum-restaurant in a large and previously uncharted cavern underneath the capital's chic 16th arrondissement.
Officers admit they are at a loss to know who built or used one of Paris's most intriguing recent discoveries.

"We have no idea whatsoever," a police spokesman said.

"There were two swastikas painted on the ceiling, but also celtic crosses and several stars of David, so we don't think it's extremists. Some sect or secret society, maybe. There are any number of possibilities."

Members of the force's sports squad, responsible - among other tasks - for policing the 170 miles of tunnels, caves, galleries and catacombs that underlie large parts of Paris, stumbled on the complex while on a training exercise beneath the Palais de Chaillot, across the Seine from the Eiffel Tower.

After entering the network through a drain next to the Trocadero, the officers came across a tarpaulin marked: Building site, No access.

Behind that, a tunnel held a desk and a closed-circuit TV camera set to automatically record images of anyone passing. The mechanism also triggered a tape of dogs barking, "clearly designed to frighten people off," the spokesman said.

Further along, the tunnel opened into a vast 400 sq metre cave some 18m underground, "like an underground amphitheatre, with terraces cut into the rock and chairs".

There the police found a full-sized cinema screen, projection equipment, and tapes of a wide variety of films, including 1950s film noir classics and more recent thrillers. None of the films were banned or even offensive, the spokesman said.

A smaller cave next door had been turned into an informal restaurant and bar. "There were bottles of whisky and other spirits behind a bar, tables and chairs, a pressure-cooker for making couscous," the spokesman said.

"The whole thing ran off a professionally installed electricity system and there were at least three phone lines down there."

Three days later, when the police returned accompanied by experts from the French electricity board to see where the power was coming from, the phone and electricity lines had been cut and a note was lying in the middle of the floor: "Do not," it said, "try to find us."

The miles of tunnels and catacombs underlying Paris are essentially former quarries, dating from Roman times, from which much of the stone was dug to build the city.

Today, visitors can take guided tours around a tightly restricted section, Les Catacombes, where the remains of up to six million Parisians were transferred from overcrowded cemeteries in the late 1700s.

But since 1955, for security reasons, it has been an offence to "penetrate into or circulate within" the rest of the network.

There exist, however, several secretive bands of so-called cataphiles, who gain access to the tunnels mainly after dark, through drains and ventilation shafts, and hold what in the popular imagination have become drunken orgies but are, by all accounts, innocent underground picnics.

The recent discovery of three newly enlarged tunnels underneath the capital's high-security La SantÚ prison was put down to the activities of one such group, and another, iden tifying itself as the Perforating Mexicans, last night told French radio the subterranean cinema was its work.

Patrick Alk, a photographer who has published a book on the urban underground exploration movement and claims to be close to the group, told RTL radio the cavern's discovery was "a shame, but not the end of the world". There were "a dozen more where that one came from," he said.

"You guys have no idea what's down there."
Old 09-08-2004, 11:53 AM   #2
zero
¬ ★ ¬

do not try to find me
Old 09-08-2004, 12:31 PM   #3
Aphrodite
Myth Demeanour

That is amazing!
A secret place. That would be a dream.
Theatre seating cut into the stone.
They should have contacted me. I'd have joined a club like that. Ok, not if they had political or any other discriminatory leanings, or lectures, or meetings.
I'd just like to have a place like that for my friends and I.
With music, and dancing, and movies, and cards, and candles. Oh, and proper plumbing, and a fireplace. oooh I could dream of that for a while. Dim lights set into stone walled gardens...
Old 09-08-2004, 02:05 PM   #4
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Definitely the world's coolest home theatre.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:06 PM   #5
daverbee
Key Lime Pie rocks!!!

The Perforating Mexicans. I like that name.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:36 PM   #6
Spicy Jack
Brains! Brains!

Quote:
Originally posted by daverbee
The Perforating Mexicans. I like that name.
Me too!
Old 09-08-2004, 05:27 PM   #7
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

It reminds me too much of something you might need to take Pepto for. Or flax seed meal.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:56 PM   #8
Avalon

Because I am a twisted soul I had this thought.
Last year France had a heat wave and approx. 10,000 people died. Wonder if some lucky ones were hold up underground, taking it easy, watching movies where it was cooler?

Just an off the wall thought, sorry
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx
Old 09-12-2004, 07:44 PM   #9
Hermione
monkey

I was in Paris last summer with the heat wave.. I thought i was going to die.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:35 PM   #10
Avalon

bump
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx
Old 07-12-2007, 02:08 PM   #11
T.I.P.
balancing actor

My trainee this year was a cataphile.

He was a very secretive kid, to say the least. I asked him a few times what he did on weekends but he always avoided the subject. I didn't press him too much, but I should call and ask him (now that he's gone) if he knew about this underground cinema.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: