ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-30-2004, 07:04 AM   #61
Large Marge
monkey

Then I moved here for my first job as a journalist:

but I nearly starved to death, which then caused me to do the stupidest thing I've ever done in my life: I moved to Vermont

Where I met a lot of people like these and did a lot of this

and I wanted to kill myself. To give you some idea how much I hated it, when the Twin Towers were struck down, I applied for a job at the New York Times. Sadly, I didn't get the job.

I finally DID get out of there and ended up back in Hawaii. I left out a bunch in the middle, but I'm out of time, pictures, and computer memory.

The End.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:46 AM   #62
Magpie
Wishing on a pickle.

Wow, very informative Marge. What year did you finish college at Ft. Lewis?
Old 12-30-2004, 03:30 PM   #63
rmr

in case anyone was wondering this is where i went to high school --

rmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 03:34 PM   #64
Large Marge
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie
Wow, very informative Marge. What year did you finish college at Ft. Lewis?
Yeah, well, some people were complaining I wasn't giving enough information about myself. That should hold them over for a while.

I graduated in 1999. It was a great place to go to school. Durango is a fun little town to live and work in, too.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:43 PM   #65
Willow Sylph
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmr
in case anyone was wondering this is where i went to high school --

Where is that high school located, Rim??

Here's my hometown:
Good ol' Lompoc - Valley of the Flowers
Knight 1: We are now the Knights who say.... "Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG! Zoom-Boing! Z'nourrwringmm!"
Willow Sylph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 04:00 PM   #66
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Like to hear your Wichita Spam can story sometime, Marge.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:02 PM   #67
rmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow Sylph
Where is that high school located, Rim??
it's in riverside, illinois -- i'm confused -- when i did a google search of my hometown this came up.....i mean i know i'd look good in it and all but...........

Old 12-30-2004, 04:12 PM   #68
rmr

since you asked -- here's the hospital i was born at:

Old 12-30-2004, 04:18 PM   #69
Willow Sylph
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmr
it's in riverside, illinois -- i'm confused -- when i did a google search of my hometown this came up.....i mean i know i'd look good in it and all but...........

Hahahaha!!!
Knight 1: We are now the Knights who say.... "Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG! Zoom-Boing! Z'nourrwringmm!"
Willow Sylph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 04:34 PM   #70
Zaftig
monkey

Trish, I knew your High School looked familiar, Douglas Cardinal built the GPRC up here and it's funky building. At first I thought that was a picture of the one end of the college here until I looked at the URL. There isn't one square angle in the building and it's pretty big.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:38 PM   #71
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

It's actually a big Catholic church (where the graduation mass was held), but I getcha. Very identifiable, is Cardinal.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:52 PM   #72
Zaftig
monkey

oops. . . .church. . . I'll drill that in my head. I just keep thinking high school.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:48 AM   #73
Large Marge
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisherina
Like to hear your Wichita Spam can story sometime, Marge.
For the duration of my lessons (four months), I was stuck with this little 1963 Cessna 150, held together with rubberbands and duct tape (kidding about the rubberbands). I was part of the 141 program, which meant that I had to follow a syllabus very closely, doing my first solo at 10 hours and then practicing specific maneuvers at certain points in my training.

My instructor was this neurotic red-headed Texan, who, incidentally, was TERRIFIED of power-on stalls. So every time we went up to do them, she would get tense. Her voice got wavery, her eyes got big, she had the yolk in a death grip. Nice qualities in a flight instructor, hu?

Needless to say, when I went out on my first solo (not the takeoffs and landings solo, but out into the practice area) and began my power-on stalls, I was nervous.

In previous power-on stall maneuvers with my instructor, my little 150 ALWAYS stalled to the right, and I was always ready with left rudder. We practiced this maneuver probably 15 times before my first solo. It always responded the same way.

The day of my solo, I flew into the practice area, made sure I was at 3,500 feet agl, and then began to pull the nose of the plane up to stall it. It seemed to take forever - I felt completely vertical - but it finally stalled - TO THE LEFT.

Turns out, when the instructor and her big butt weren't sitting on the right side of the plane, it stalled the other way, but what did I do in a pure reflex action? I kicked in left rudder.

So here's the scenario: I'm full throttle, stalled, pointed straight at the ground, only 10 hours of flying time on the books, and IN A SPIN.

Thank GOD I made sure I was at 3,500 feet.

It seemed like FOREVER before I snapped out of it, but it was probably more like 6 or 7 seconds. I kicked in right rudder. I dipped the nose and got wind going over the wings. By then, though, there were so many Gs on the plane that I couldn't just pull the yolk back; I had to lean forward, put both arms behind the yolk at a 90 degree angle and PULL REALLY HARD.

As I did, I looked out over the left wing and I could see it BOWING under the pressure. After a few seconds, I finally managed to pull it level.

I caught my breath. I looked at the altimeter. I had lost 800 feet and spun around 2 1/2 times. And in all the chaos I'd forgotten to take the power off; it was still at full throttle.

I was supposed to do another 30 minutes of maneuvers. Yeah, RIGHT!
Old 12-31-2004, 05:17 AM   #74
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Well, I wish you could have seen the facial expressions and flinching I did involuntarily while reading that, but I --DAMMIT-- didn't have the webcam on! Holy soaking armpits, Batman. Thank God they make those things tough to break!

The scariest experience I ever had in a C-150 was early in training in about June. My instructor (a very patient, holy man) was pointing out some CBs in the distance while we piddled about the practice area. At one point some maneuver left me recovering while pointed straight at them. "Don't get too close at this time of year," he warned, "The windshear can be pretty bad quite far away from the system." The second the words left his mouth, the yoke was jerked from my hands and my head hit the roof of the cabin. Next thing I knew he had control and I was staring mouth agape at the altimeter: we had lost 500 ft. in the time it took us to bounce up and hit our seats again.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:35 AM   #75
Large Marge
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisherina
The scariest experience I ever had in a C-150 was early in training in about June. My instructor (a very patient, holy man) was pointing out some CBs in the distance while we piddled about the practice area. At one point some maneuver left me recovering while pointed straight at them. "Don't get too close at this time of year," he warned, "The windshear can be pretty bad quite far away from the system." The second the words left his mouth, the yoke was jerked from my hands and my head hit the roof of the cabin. Next thing I knew he had control and I was staring mouth agape at the altimeter: we had lost 500 ft. in the time it took us to bounce up and hit our seats again.

We get those scary cumulonimbus clouds in Colorado A LOT, and I avoid them like the plague. Ours usually have lightning shooting out of them, too.

Of course, i haven't flown in years. Medical expired in 2000, I think. I miss it though. Don't you? Why not get another, and take the little one? I'll bet the border collie would LOVE it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: