ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > DEBATE HALL
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 33 votes, 4.76 average. Display Modes
Old 02-17-2004, 06:57 PM   #1
masterofNone
________

gay marriage

gay marriage sounds like an oxymoron to me. i've been married. i know married people. gay is not a word that comes to mind for the most part. so, while emily latella might make hay with the phrase. i was wondering if anybody around here had a problem with the recent tidal wave of gay marriages and equally profuse legislative attempts to curtail the trend. what do you think?
masterofNone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 07:30 PM   #2
lapietra
half baked

Well, I wouldn't consider myself highly knowledgeable about the subject, but isn't marriage just a way to make an agreement with another person that you and everything connected to you is committed to their welfare, and them to yours, no matter what? I understand babies come into the picture sometimes, which is another good reason to be married, so the child has some sort of guaranteed security...
I really can't figure out how anyone could have a legitimate reason for being against any two people wanting themselves and their resources to be legally committed to each other for life. There's little enough of that as it is... I understand even less how anyone could feel as if they are personally threatened by this (not that you were saying you felt threatened, moN, just *some people* have). The desire for commitment is a mature and loving impulse, and I think it should be encouraged.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:03 PM   #3
nycwriters
Stuck in T.O.

Ya know, with soldiers dying in Iraq and back-room deals being made with various lobbying factions, I would think the administration would find little time to focus its already divided attention on something that really shouldn't be an issue in the first place.

If people want to get married, let them. The gay community, for too long, has been treated like outsiders and not given everyday priviledges that the heterosexual community enjoys -- like shared health benefits.

This is the new "woman's movement" for 2000 ... we are now witnessing the rebellion of gay suffragettes. More power to 'em.
nycwriters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 09:23 PM   #4
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Gays should have every right to lose half their shit someday just like the rest of us. -me, in the other thread

I still feel this way. Live & let live.
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 09:26 PM   #5
AllegroNg
What I Am Wearing.

Right on, PFP. What the hell's the difference!? And *why* is it illegal in the first place? Is it a biblical issue? I sure hope not, because that should *never* be an issue in government. Besides, most marriages here are so far from biblical anyway.

People need to mind their own buisness.

On the other hand, what's the big deal with getting married anyway? Is it just me?
AllegroNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 09:30 PM   #6
nycwriters
Stuck in T.O.

Quote:
Originally posted by AllegroNg
Is it a biblical issue? I sure hope not, because that should *never* be an issue in government.

Well with the average administration, yes. However, if you recall, this particular administration, two months into its reign, determined that the government should fund religious outreach programs -- thereby negating centuries of history that taught that church and state should never be combined.

Why would it suddenly be open minded on gay marriages?
nycwriters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 09:39 PM   #7
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Quote:
On the other hand, what's the big deal with getting married anyway? Is it just me?
It's not just you. I think it should be more about the actual marriage than the wedding. ie, Luke & Laura's wedding, Ryan & Trista's wedding, etc. What about the marriage? B/c the wedding, the dresses, flowers, cake, etc is only one fvcking day. Then you'll be stuck w/this schlub for the rest of your life.

So yeah, let the gays marry. The religious right won't like it, but I guess I pray to a different God than they do--mine's not such a hateful bastard who gives a rat's ass what I or my friends do behind closed doors. (and sometimes in bathhouses, *ahem*)
Old 02-17-2004, 11:10 PM   #8
Aphrodite
Myth Demeanour

ok so far we are all in agreement. Any two consentual adults regardless of physical gender should have the right to join into any contract that allows them to live together and share the joys and sorrows of marriage. I am not very educated in this area and am probably rather naive, but is it financially devastating to the government somehow? I mean isn't it going to have impact on pension payouts and health insurance etc.? Not to mention the forms that will all have to be re-written...husband and wife....husband and husband?...wife and wife? On a side note,
I think that there are many couples who marry for all the wrong reasons. I think that there are many couples who have children without the sense it takes to babysit a goldfish. No one has the right to interfere in these unions, yet there are laws against certain people marrying simply because they are born the same gender. It is ridiculous.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:58 AM   #9
chuckie egg
a peach

I'm sure you all know that the church does not accept homosexual relationships. Therefore I can't see how any church could hold a gay marriage.

I have two friends from university who are gay and in a relationship, Christian too. They wanted to get married in church and it was disallowed. I don't quite understand how they convinced themselves it was the right thing to do. (I've not spoken to them about it to be honest.)
chuckie egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 12:06 PM   #10
AllegroNg
What I Am Wearing.

Yesh, setting aside the fact that churches marry those who are divorced, unfaithful, abusive, etc..

That is the church's decision, not hte government's

Marriages can also be perfectly secular, too.
AllegroNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 12:42 PM   #11
azur
over the rainbow!

I think that homosexual people should have the same opportunities as hetrosexual.

By the other hand I can hear - and I try to understand - the voice of churches and catholic church especially.
They say: if we accept gay marriages it will destabilize society and it will change it in an unbelievable way. I think they are right.

But - in my opinion - there is nothing wrong in changes.
azur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 01:13 PM   #12
masterofNone
________

I'm with pfp. live and let live. i think that a civil marriage is not only practical but inevitable given the anti-discrimination laws of most states and the federal government. the cries from the right against "activist judges" rings hollow since judges can only interpret the laws on the books at any given time. the laws support gay marriage currently, at least the laws in massachussetts and california. in fact, it would take political activism on the part of the right to change the laws in order to make it illegal. the problem wouldn't go away though because any law so written would have to prescribe discrimination toward gay people and this would bump up against older precedent. it's quite likely that any law demanding such discrimination would be found unconstitutional at either the state or federal level. with our system it would be very hard indeed to get such a law passed and blessed by the courts. that being said, none of that is going to keep the religious right from using their influence on the current administration to try to stop the ongoing trend. i imagine if they succeeded even temporarily in shutting down the process we'd see riots on both coasts that would make the Stonewall look tame. bound to be interesting.
masterofNone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 03:58 PM   #13
chuckie egg
a peach

Quote:
Yesh, setting aside the fact that churches marry those who are divorced, unfaithful, abusive, etc..
True, the difference with a gay marriage though is the couple would be literally asking the church to bless a sin through getting married..

Quote:

That is the church's decision, not hte government's

Marriages can also be perfectly secular, too.
I completely agree
Old 02-18-2004, 05:43 PM   #14
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

I hate to bring this up, but the church lost any & all credibility they had with me when they didn't do anything about all those altarboys being molested at the time the crimes were reported.

Molesting altarboys & sweeping it under the rug; letting these priests remain in positions where they could do more harm to more children, that is ok with the church?

But my best friend & his boyfriend getting married is not?

That makes no sense, so the church is now cordially invited to lick me.

Pedophilia = ok

gay marriage = not ok

*shakes head*
Old 02-19-2004, 10:14 AM   #15
chuckie egg
a peach

You cant put all people that attend church under the same banner.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: