ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FICTION PROJECT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 190 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 09-25-2007, 12:36 AM   #2701
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

I tell you, it's like reality TV. Only it's the Dictionary Game!

Okay, here's the new word:

hamartia
Old 09-26-2007, 07:47 PM   #2702
Brynn
constantly amazed

hamartia - the figurative act of falling upon one's sword in social martyrdom in order to help a loved one avoid repercussions in tricky situations.

"Let's blow off Christina's dinner party," he whispered into Blanche's ear as he expertly slipped the pashima from her shoulder. "Tell her... " He paused to consider a suitable hamartia. "Tell her I had an attack of agoraphobia and you couldn't leave me alone. It's true. You can't."
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:45 PM   #2703
Bman
monkey

Harmartia - A feat of Olympic ignorance, as brought on by a lifetime of not giving a crap

"...So I said to the guy, do I LOOK like I know what photosynthesis is?"
Bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:48 PM   #2704
Bman
monkey

Harmartia - A feat of Olympic ignorance, as brought on by a lifetime of not giving a crap

Old 09-27-2007, 12:09 AM   #2705
Hyakujo's Fox
left hanging

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
hamartia - an inability to accelerate brought on by excessive consumption of pork products.

After the Sunday roast, Fred sat silently and contemplated the desirability of moving from the easy chair to his bed, but found his hamartia was just too much to overcome.
Hyakujo's Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:34 PM   #2706
Marcus Bales

Location: In a coign of the cliff between lowland and highland, at the sea-down's edge between windward and lee, walled round with rocks as an inland island, the ghost of a garden fronts the sea.
Hamartia -- fl ca 400 CE in Egypt, the first world famous female mathematician, noted for her work in geometry (see the Hamartia Theorem and the Hamartian Paradox) and her ability to create elegantly short proofs of complex problems. Dragged from her house, stoned, and burned to death by a Christian mob outraged that a woman was working in a man's field, in 415 CE.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:35 PM   #2707
Marcus Bales

Location: In a coign of the cliff between lowland and highland, at the sea-down's edge between windward and lee, walled round with rocks as an inland island, the ghost of a garden fronts the sea.
stupid double post

Last edited by Marcus Bales : 09-27-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Marcus Bales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:07 PM   #2708
Brynn
constantly amazed

Hamartia - Marsha Brady's evil doppelganger in Episode # 87 of The Brady Bunch. Marsha, who has a crush on a boy cast as Romeo in her high school play, is beat out of the part of Juliet when she befriends a charismatic new girl in town who's not only good at math, but also happens to have an irrational fear of being lynched by a mob of Christians.
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:51 PM   #2709
funkytuba
Spone to Proonerisms

hamartia - gallery devoted to the display of pork-based creative works

Christo used the town of Austin, MN as his hamartia as he displayed his latest extreme scale work: The Hogs.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:50 AM   #2710
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

judging on the weekend
Old 09-28-2007, 06:08 AM   #2711
T.I.P.
balancing actor

hamartia: The opposite of catharsis, i.e. the most boring moment

The hamartia of the movie is without doubt the moment where Nicolas Cage waits in line to buy toilet paper.
T.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:39 PM   #2712
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

All right Dictionary Gamers, it's that time in the day when the board has the fewest hiccups and it's time someone aside from Authorntuhkat posted in the Fiction Project, so let's get this done.

Brilliant entries all around for hamartia, which has a popular meaning of "fatal flaw" but is really supposed to encompass all kinds of tragic mistakes that you wish you could take back the moment you make them. I like this word.

Definitions that seemed the most intellectually appealing:

T.I.P.'s last-minute entry:

The opposite of catharsis, i.e. the most boring moment

Marcus Bales' cynical-but-probably-true-somewhere reference:

fl ca 400 CE in Egypt, the first world famous female mathematician, noted for her work in geometry (see the Hamartia Theorem and the Hamartian Paradox) and her ability to create elegantly short proofs of complex problems. Dragged from her house, stoned, and burned to death by a Christian mob outraged that a woman was working in a man's field, in 415 CE.

and Bman's really quite stunning effort is best appreciated with the sentence gave to go with it:

A feat of Olympic ignorance, as brought on by a lifetime of not giving a crap

All of you, go and watch the Randy Pausch video linked to Ze's blog; there are plenty of rewards in there.

Now, due to a gross overapplication of intellectual stimulation at work this week, I especially enjoyed the amusing definitions:

Both of Brynn's are good for smiles, especially the sheer brilliance of the second one which I am going to award Coveted Second Place:

1. Marsha Brady's evil doppelganger in Episode # 87 of The Brady Bunch. Marsha, who has a crush on a boy cast as Romeo in her high school play, is beat out of the part of Juliet when she befriends a charismatic new girl in town who's not only good at math, but also happens to have an irrational fear of being lynched by a mob of Christians.

2. the figurative act of falling upon one's sword in social martyrdom in order to help a loved one avoid repercussions in tricky situations.

"Let's blow off Christina's dinner party," he whispered into Blanche's ear as he expertly slipped the pashima from her shoulder. "Tell her... " He paused to consider a suitable hamartia. "Tell her I had an attack of agoraphobia and you couldn't leave me alone. It's true. You can't."

Brynn's elegant lexicographical efforts win her a video of one of my favourite bloggers, Erin McKean.

funkytuba went for the big groan:

gallery devoted to the display of pork-based creative works

for which he will receive this link to a rather disturbing ditty about Spam.

But in the end, as often happens, it was Hyakujo's Fox who really spoke to my hammy heart:

an inability to accelerate brought on by excessive consumption of pork products.

After the Sunday roast, Fred sat silently and contemplated the desirability of moving from the easy chair to his bed, but found his hamartia was just too much to overcome.

And since no good deed must go unpunished, he "wins" the judging of the next round! Up and at 'em, HFox!
Old 09-30-2007, 05:29 AM   #2713
Hyakujo's Fox
left hanging

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
Thank you, trisherina. And they said I didn't have another one left in me.

The new word is... quinquarticular
Hyakujo's Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:18 PM   #2714
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

quinquarticular: four-eyed, spindly, and awkward; most often describing a given species in its adolescent stage of development.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:13 PM   #2715
Bman
monkey

Quinquarticular - a type of 4th dimensional shape possessing four AND five sides simultaneously.

"In the year 2085 quinquarticular coloring books will become a short-lived fad among quantum physicists, only to be replaced by an equally ill-fated trend: microscopic pogs."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: