ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FICTION PROJECT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 190 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 02:20 AM   #4171
Brynn
constantly amazed

I was just trying to make a kitty face, not kill the thread. Okay, I'm going, I'm going...
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:42 AM   #4172
YsaPur EsChomuw
oi

^ I thought it was a wolf...
YsaPur EsChomuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #4173
Coffee
Cheeses Save

If it's a kitty, it is passing thru a singularity event horizon.

Ignoring this thread for another few days at least....i mean...Judging very very soon.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:51 PM   #4174
funkytuba
Spone to Proonerisms

refractoritis - annoyance caused by having someone just barely beat you to the best non-handicapped space in the parking lot
Old 08-18-2010, 01:14 AM   #4175
Marcus Bales

Location: In a coign of the cliff between lowland and highland, at the sea-down's edge between windward and lee, walled round with rocks as an inland island, the ghost of a garden fronts the sea.
refractoritis - that line you put after writing xx/100 on a check to keep people from adding to the line.

By the time of the intervention Coffee's refractoritis had taken the form of his using a magnifying glass and a very good LED light to draw intricate scenes he copied out of Hogarth and Bosch instead of using a simple swooshy line.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:34 AM   #4176
YsaPur EsChomuw
oi

refractoritis - to entice then absquatulate, the habit of enticing followed by absquatulation
YsaPur EsChomuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:57 AM   #4177
Marcus Bales

Location: In a coign of the cliff between lowland and highland, at the sea-down's edge between windward and lee, walled round with rocks as an inland island, the ghost of a garden fronts the sea.
refractoritis - to tell without showing, esp. using abstractions and abstract words.

"Of course I know what it means," said Ysa, with justifiable irritation, "though clearly you don't. It means to entice then absquatulate, or the habit of enticing followed by absquatulation. There, are you happy now?"

"Do you have an example?" he asked

"No," she explained.

C2 prefractoritis, aka "henchmanspeak", where two or more characters tell one another things they must, if they are who they are, already know, in the service of telling the reader or audience enough of the backstory to locate subsequent events in some sort of storyline significance.

"Are the prisoners you captured from that suspicious merchant vessel on its way from Rigel IV, on the outskirts of the Empire, to Carberium II, a notorious center of revolt about halfway between the border and the capital, Tortran, secured?"

"We've put them in the new state-of-the-art prisoner-of-war chamber, with the F-52ci Whining Mosquito option, so they won't get much sleep!"

"Well done, Arasch -- I'm glad I picked you out of the gutters of Carberium II and made you my trusted lieutenant!"

"Thank you, my lord. I had long worshipped your eminence from afar, particularly your subjugation of Rigel IV, and your use of concentration camps to break the spirit of the rebels!"

und so weiter ...
Old 08-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #4178
Brynn
constantly amazed

refractoritis - an advanced state of knowing all possibilities, alternate realities and variations beyond a shadow of a doubt.

The refractoritis on the board was universal - Marcus either urgently wanted to be judge for the next round (evidenced by the way he deftly played to the judge's interests with his last definition), or he has been broadening his reading list past what's required for undergraduate and graduate English degrees.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #4179
Coffee
Cheeses Save

Sorry for the delay. Work, yes work dammit...has kept me unusually busy lately finishing up important government business, but I assure you that I have begun judging and am in process of compiling, cataloging, and classifying all of your brilliant entries...and the others as well.

Bear in mind that as new entries are added during the judging phase they run the risk of being added to the dreaded "bottom" of the list...if you know what I mean ( no I don't have an example ).
Old 08-26-2010, 10:54 PM   #4180
Marcus Bales

refractoritis - the habit of vacuuming over and over something seen on the rug, hoping another pass will suck it up, and finally bending over to loosen it from the weave, and then putting it back down on the rug, and passing over it once more to give the vacuum-cleaner one more chance.

Coffee's assignment, to reduce refractoritis among the cleaning staff at the Pentagon, met with more resistance than anyone expected, and it took him longer than he thought to get it done.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:01 PM   #4181
Coffee
Cheeses Save

Brynn opened the round with this definition which left me hungry for more...specifically; the definition of “fract”. Nice submission but didn't make the blue ribbon.
Refractoritis:
An obsession with fracting, and refracting - over and over and over again, until madness ensues.

"Hasn't this glass been fracted yet? What about the houseplants? They like to be fracted in the morning, along with all the pets and the entire contents of the refrigerator,and now that I look around, I see that you haven't even begun fracting the inside of the medicine cabinet! You know what? Just refract it all over again - the whole house! And then do the inside and outside of the car! Then you should go refractorize the whole population of Trenton, and all the shrubberies too! Do as I say!" said Blanche.

trisherina also baffeled me with words I couldn't be arsed to look up, this being a make-em-up kind of pastime here in this thread...perhaps fodder for another round...and also deftly dodges the blue ribbon with:

refractoritis: a type of synovitis affecting the metacarpophalangeals, attributed to wringing one's hands over untreatable conditions.

Source: Leader's Guide to Employee Workplace Safety and Wellness, Health Care Edition

xfox skillfully weaves “fracted” into her definition that “almost” helped me understand it's meaning, but, sadly, fell just short of complete understanding...and also limbos under the blue bar.

refractoritis a condition suffered by the patient of an ophthalmologist with the erroneous assumption that 20/50 vision due to a damaged cornea can be successfully refracted.

Every year Louis kept his appointment with Dr. Gordon who, again, tweaked his prescription for glasses thinking, "This will improve his vision." Not.

Funkytuba is clearly in no shape to orchestrate another dictionary game round after walking so far from his parking space..and thus arrives to the judging to late for the blue ribbon.
refractoritis - annoyance caused by having someone just barely beat you to the best non-handicapped space in the parking lot

YsaPur EsChomuw
clearly thought I might go back a few pages and review absquatulation in order to undersand her definition below...but she was incorrect and thus, along with her other multi-posting definitions avoids the final reward as well.
refractoritis - to entice then absquatulate, the habit of enticing followed by absquatulation

YsaPur EsChomuw clearly lead M. Bales astray with this one.
refractoritis - the compulsive urge to lead someone astray

Marcus refractoritis worsened with age: in spite of taking his medicaments daily he still put on his wolfskin coat every evening and lurked at the edge of the wood, radiating lust and hope.

Which leads us to Marcus Bales who is pathologically unable to single post in a definition game thread escapes judgment day simply because I am interested in pursuing an experiment...so enough about M.Bales and on to our winnah..after you review these MB defs.
refractoritis - to tell without showing, esp. using abstractions and abstract words.

"Of course I know what it means," said Ysa, with justifiable irritation, "though clearly you don't. It means to entice then absquatulate, or the habit of enticing followed by absquatulation. There, are you happy now?"

"Do you have an example?" he asked

"No," she explained.

C2 prefractoritis, aka "henchmanspeak", where two or more characters tell one another things they must, if they are who they are, already know, in the service of telling the reader or audience enough of the backstory to locate subsequent events in some sort of storyline significance.

"Are the prisoners you captured from that suspicious merchant vessel on its way from Rigel IV, on the outskirts of the Empire, to Carberium II, a notorious center of revolt about halfway between the border and the capital, Tortran, secured?"

"We've put them in the new state-of-the-art prisoner-of-war chamber, with the F-52ci Whining Mosquito option, so they won't get much sleep!"

"Well done, Arasch -- I'm glad I picked you out of the gutters of Carberium II and made you my trusted lieutenant!"

"Thank you, my lord. I had long worshipped your eminence from afar, particularly your subjugation of Rigel IV, and your use of concentration camps to break the spirit of the rebels!"

und so weiter …

refractoritis - that line you put after writing xx/100 on a check to keep people from adding to the line.

By the time of the intervention Coffee's refractoritis had taken the form of his using a magnifying glass and a very good LED light to draw intricate scenes he copied out of Hogarth and Bosch instead of using a simple swooshy line.

refractoritis - unwillingness to play one's part, even in spite of others playing theirs

Ysa's refractoritis was the stuff of legend: even though Marcus still put on his wolfskin coat every evening and lurked at the edge of the wood, radiating lust and hope, Ysa refused to go to Grandma's house.

refractoritis - Rhet. Also known as "The Big Lie", repeating and repeating a position until its familiarity suggests that there must be something to it.

Over and over Coffee posted about his job, the petty office politics, the annoyng boss, the even more annoying work itself, until, by refractoritis, everyone on the Zefrank board believed that he had one.

refractoritis - the 'terrible twos' at any age.

No! I don't wanna define 'refractoritis'! And you can't make me!

================================================

And for our WINNAH...It occurs to me that our Mojo has quite possibly never judged a dictionary game thread, yet has plunged her toes into the pond several times so to speak. So without further ado (adoo? A doo?) the winner and champion of this round is our Mojo with her fractured definition that somewhat related to telescopes...sorta.

Refractoritis
This is what happens to the sun when a sunspot b
ecomes inflamed

Take it away Mojo (ie. choose an obscure word, then post it in your next post in this thread, and then wait up to 3 weeks or so to choose the best/your favorite definition...or play favorites and choose a buddy to judge the next round.)

(M.Bales will be our runner up just in case Mojo doesn't reply to this within 3 days...yes 3 days...and yes you have to send her the obligatory "your word" PM Mr. Bales. (coffee glares at you pointedly )
Old 08-29-2010, 02:10 PM   #4182
Coffee
Cheeses Save

Oh, ya...the "real" definition:
Refratoritis: A condition of lusting after larger and larger aperture refracting telescopes. It is related to Aperture Fever which is a condition also experienced by Reflector/Dobsonian/Newtonian style telescope users.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #4183
MoJoRiSin
unbelievable

alrigalrigh the new word is :: absquatulate

Last edited by MoJoRiSin : 08-29-2010 at 07:33 PM.
MoJoRiSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:25 PM   #4184
Marcus Bales

absquatulate - to re-use a word in the dictionary game

MoJo abquatulated with 'absquatulate'.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #4185
Brynn
constantly amazed

absquatulate - to make wild claims about various things aloud while doing core training.

"Because that guy was abducted by aliens by ten years ago, he's gotten really great TV reception without cable or satellite ever since," she absquatulated in her Pilates class.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: