ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > MUSIC
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
eepsilon
surly ninny

cover songs, running rampant over the airwaves

okay, so this song has been stuck in my head....
Old man look at my life,
I'm a lot like you were.
Old man look at my life,
I'm a lot like you were.

Old man look at my life,
Twenty four
and there's so much more
Live alone in a paradise
That makes me think of two.

only instead of neil young, natalie cole is singing it. and it is sooooo bad!
what was she thinking? what were the people who compiled the cd at work thinking?!
but its got me thinking about all those cover songs that are out there, good and so bad you just can't get away from it.
do any of you have particular cover songs are just so horrendous?
there's always the kitsch factor (tom jones' rendition of prince's kiss) which i enjoy, but i can't shake this natalie cole thing.....
eepsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:25 AM   #2
zero

erasure, who i once upon a time firmly believed could do no wrong, recently brought out an entire album of truly murderous cover versions. called "other people's songs", peruse the track listing and imagine in your head if you can what they did to these songs. (mind you, looking at them now, some of the songs deserved to be murdered)
erasure - other people's songs
solsbury hill
everybody's got to learn sometime
make me smile (come up and see me)
everyday
when will i see you again
walking in the rain
true love always
ebb tide
can't help falling in love
you've lost that lovin' feelin'
goodnight
video killed the radio star

ok you can take the pillow off your head now. to make it all better, here's the best cover version i've heard in many a long day - futureheads cover version of kate bush's hounds of love
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:50 PM   #3
Madmack
..it just started...

Off the top of my head.. Three that are truely craptacular:
Against All Odds: Mariah Carey
Behind Blue Eyes: Limp Bizkit
Walking in Memphis: Cher

World Travel Tips
Madmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:11 PM   #4
Avalon

Anything and everything Wm. Shatner has done. Lucy in the Sky...Osama would surrender in a minute if they played that.

Review for one of his albums.. Yes, there is more than one.

William Shatner "Has Been"
(Shout! Factory)
Compare to: Leonard Nimoy, Adam West, Sebastian Cabot
When you think of the worst album ever made by an actor-turned-singer, the first one that comes to mind will probably be either Jennifer Love Hewitt's 1996 self-titled flop or Shaquille O'Neal's 1993 release "Shaq Diesel." With his new album, however, William Shatner is now a heavy contender for the honor of worst celebrity album.
Shatner's new album, "Has Been," could not be more appropriately named.
Full of Shatner performing spoken words mixed over various styles of music, the album -- reminiscent of Charlton Heston during a fit of dementia -- will have listeners wanting to pull their hair out by the third track.
After the first track, "Common People," which is pretty good, relative to the rest of the album, listeners might have a false sense that a Shatner album might not be all that bad. Any hopes of good music are quickly dispelled, however.
Believe it or not, this is not Shatner's first "musical" release. He put out two other albums, including one 10 years ago titled "Transformed Man."
This album is proof that 10 years is not enough time to completely transform a man into a musical performing artist.
Featured on the album are many guest musicians, including Ben Folds, who produced and mixed the album. Since Folds' debut as a solo artist three years ago, few roads can compare with his. He may not have been the wisest choice, however. Veteran rocker Henry Rollins joins Shatner on the song "I Can't Get Behind That," an anthem about causes that the two can't support.
Hopefully, the guest musicians were paid very well for their efforts, since this album will certainly not be helping further their careers.
To top it all off, on "You'll Have Time," Shatner feels the need to tell the listener "I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're going to die." Thanks for the insight, Will.
On behalf of the listeners, live long and prosper, Shatner, but do not make music.
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:01 PM   #5
eepsilon
surly ninny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmack View Post
Off the top of my head.. Three that are truely craptacular:

Behind Blue Eyes: Limp Bizkit
I had forgotten about that atrocity!!

In the super-kitschy-can't-help-laughing department: 2 gems from Paul Anka, again provided by the music at work.
Jump
Eye of the Tiger (he growls at the end! still gets me giggling madly)
eepsilon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: