ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > GOOD READING
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2002, 02:57 PM   #1
lapietra
half baked

A. S. Byatt

I'm a huge fan. I first picked up "Possession" at Book Soup a number of years ago, and have since read most of her books, including "A Virgin in the Garden," "Angels & Insects" (which was made into a wonderful movie a few years ago) "The Matisse Stories", and her most recent novel, "Babel Tower".
Her books are a masterful combination of the classic gothic style and her vast knowledge of the history and major works of literature, which she weaves through her stories, along with original poetry and actual historical events. It's rich stuff; not a careless word to be found, very satisfying to read.
She has wonderfully strong and complex female characters; her men sometimes leave a bit to be desired; they tend to be weaker and more confused than the women which I'm sure is a personal choice that she makes (but I like my genders equally powerful, at least my protagonists).
Not for everyone, I know - I actually bought "Possession" for a few people, family and friends, the year that I read it, and most of them said it was a little *too* rich for their tastes... But if you enjoy Joyce, or Tolkien - any author that deals in densely worded imagery, with a great story in there somewhere - you'll probably enjoy her work.
Old 09-21-2002, 03:50 PM   #2
lapietra
half baked

speaking of Joyce...

This is funny. Make sure to read "litigation" (get there by clicking the link that follows "Follow the threatened litigation that engendered this disclaimer"):

http://www.bway.net/~hunger/ulysses.html
Old 04-14-2004, 06:28 PM   #3
lapietra
half baked

I'm reading "Babel Tower" again... wowie. Even better this time around...
Old 04-20-2004, 07:36 PM   #4
lapietra
half baked

*sigh*

I wish someone else loved A. S. Byatt too...

Someone must... her books get made into movies...
Old 04-21-2004, 11:23 AM   #5
Hyakujo's Fox
left hanging

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
I suppose I could get around to reading my entirely undisturbed copy of "Possession". I think the movie intrigued me enough to buy it but it promptly disappeared into the pile.
Hyakujo's Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 05:17 PM   #6
lapietra
half baked

Well, by all means, read it! Or maybe read "Babel Tower" instead - I like that one better... There are two books that come before it with the same characters, but it stands on its own...
I'd love to have someone to discuss it with!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: