ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > MUSIC
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-05-2004, 07:18 AM   #1
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Best concert you ever went to

I'd like the artist, venue, city, what kind of seats did you have, etc. Tell us all about it!

I will post mine tomorrow. Oh wait, it IS tomorrow.

Depeche Mode, 6th row, Summer of 1994. Details to follow.

Last edited by priceyfatprude : 03-05-2004 at 07:27 AM.
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 10:43 AM   #2
daverbee
Key Lime Pie rocks!!!

Jacksonville Symphony directed by Roger Nierenberg, Mahler Symphony #2, Jacksonville Municipal Auditorium, Loge Seating.

The hall, since demolished, was ugly as hell but acoustically perfect. The Symphony had been revitallized by Mr. Nierenberg into one of the best regional orchestras I've ever heard. I have always been ambivalent towards Mahler since I felt all his stuff was too long. However, after an hour and a half, with no breaks, when they finished, I stayed in my seat hoping they hadn't *really* finished. This after a ten minute standing ovation.
daverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 10:51 AM   #3
chuckie egg
a peach

Oh I cant pick a favourite!! Can I do a list? Well I'm going to anyway...

Oasis, Maine Road, standing (jumping) 1996?

Bon Jovi, Old Trafford, standing. 2003

Red Hot Chili Peppers, Manchester Evening News Arena, standing. 2003
chuckie egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 11:46 AM   #4
Aphrodite
Myth Demeanour

Quick list too because they were classics

Ozzie Osborne and the Blizzard of Oz. Crazy Train. My First Real Concert. Absolutely amazing!

Yes 10250 can't remember the seats but the lasers show blew my mind

ZZTop Eliminator and Afterburner concerts. Once again wicked stage shows

Pink Floyd "Momentary Lapse of Reason" Rich Stadium Floor

Roger Waters Toronto

Robert Plant Toronto

Lynyrd Skynyrd Toronto

Summer Fest with Iron Maiden, Ted Nugent, Lover boy and Foreigner Rich Stadium Floor

Jethro Tull The Aud (too much to drink I slept through most of it)

Jon Bon Jovi right in the front standing about 15 feet away.

There were many more but I was keeping the list short. LOL
Old 03-05-2004, 03:34 PM   #5
daverbee
Key Lime Pie rocks!!!

Well, if we can name more than one...

ZZ Top, University of Texas in Austin, Labor Day Festival 1974. One of the legendary Texas concerts. 100,000 in attendance. I still have a hangover from that one. No seats, everyone stood or fell over.

Dizzy Gillespie, Jacksonville Jazz Festival, 1985. Best trumpet player ever! SRO.

The Mother's of Invention and The Allman Brothers Band, Florida State University, 1970. Zappa dedicated his set to Duane Allman. There has never been a bad Allman Brothers Band concert. At least none I've been to... Seated about ten rows from the stage.

The Tannahill Weavers, UNF Auditorium, Jacksonville FL, about three rows from the stage. Best contemporary Scottish band. Go see 'em if you have a chance.

Longineu Parsons, Masters Recital, University of Florida Performing Arts theater, seated about six rows from the stage. The best jazz trumpet player you've never heard of. Also my closest friend.
UF wasn't gonna let him into the Master's Program because they said he didn't have enough experience in playing classical music. He went in for an audition and, afterwards, the Dean of the College of Music personally apologized for the affront.
He is now going for his Doctorate at FSU.
Here's a link to his website if you're interested:
http://longineu.com/

Last edited by daverbee : 03-05-2004 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:06 PM   #6
nycwriters
Stuck in T.O.

Tie between Bowie's Glass Spider Tour where I was front row rammed against the security fences and watched Bowie flirt the entire night with my friend Lynne... or my very first concert I went to: Peter Gabriel -- he did the body surfing thing at the end -- the arms of the audience propelling him all over the place until he at the very end went back to the stage, singing Biko ... it was an amazing thing to see for a first concert.
nycwriters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 12:23 PM   #7
Frieda
in limbo

i don't go to concerts a lot because i can't stand for a very long time..

best one (best atmosphere) was probably in july 2002 at this festival in oostende, belgium. i saw no doubt, david bowie and jamiroquai. it was perfect!

best artist was tom jones of course.

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 02:07 AM   #8
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Yes, please, do a list! The more the merrier!

Depeche Mode tickets were purchased by the ex & ex-roomie @ the grocery store while I was in classes. They got there early enough to get good seats, but they did a 'lottery' where everyone in line got a random number, thus screwing those over who'd been waiting 3-4 hours. My ex paired up w/a man who was buying tickets for his daughter & friend, and had gotten a better number in the lottery. So that is how we got such great seats. They didn't do a whole lot of older stuff that I would've loved for them to do, but it was still a great show.

Another great show was Paul McCartney @ Milwaukee County Stadium in 1993. It was raining & we met the ex-roomie's parents there. When we got to our seats, they were covered by a huge tarp. The ex asked the attendant what that meant. He explained that we had obstructed view seating, and would be getting seats on the field rather than up in the stadium. WEEEEEEEEEE mofo!

My latest best concert was Dave Koz & Friends @ Westbury Music Fair last October. It's not really a Music Fair, where you walk around listening to various bands, eating hot dogs on a stick. It's just the name of the building. The seats were great, even if the company was not.
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 01:29 PM   #9
daverbee
Key Lime Pie rocks!!!

Another very memorable concert for me was The Mahavishnu Orchestra at FSU in 1972.
This was right before their first album was released and nobody knew much about them other than the fact that John McLaughlin was supposed to be this hot guitarist.
They came out onstage, McLaughlin all in white. They lit a bunch of incense and he strapped on a double neck six and 12 string electric guitar. He stepped up to his mike and apologized for not getting a good sound check and then they proceeded to plaster the audience to the opposite wall and not let us down until it was over. I have never experienced such intense music on a concert stage!
There was another band supposed to play after them but everybody left when they were finished! Nobody could have followed them that night.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:03 AM   #10
mememe
monkey

Tie between 3. OMD & New Order, summer of 1993, Providence RI. My very first concert (yay), and damn, it was awesome. It was the only concert I've been to where everyone was into the music the entire time (and not just for the headliners).

Also the Depeche Mode Violater tour, summer of 1994 at Giant Stadium. It took us forever to get through on the telephone & then we ended up with terrible nosebleed seats. But I stumbled upon an ad in the paper for Ticketmaster exchanges, so I called and was able to get fantastic seats for all my friends, 10 rows in the first level, pretty close the stage... it was amazing. The 12 of us were screaming & dancing on those rickety seats for the whole concert

The other would be the Cure, Worcester (MA) Centrum, summer of 1996. This was the first stop on the US leg of their tour for Wild Mood Swings and they didn't have an opening act... just them for 3 hours and 3 encores -- and they only stopped when Robert Smith started to get hoarse. After that, I didn't feel so bad about missing their "Farewell" tour in 1993

Last edited by mememe : 03-09-2004 at 12:05 AM.
mememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 01:13 PM   #11
Avalon

Best concert?? Now I am going to really be dating myself with this one. Wasn't the '80s just one big concert??

Where I live, we had something called "The Speedway Jams" An outdoor venue,festival seating...more like a huge, drunken musical picnic with 45-50,000 of your closest friends in the infield of the local motor speedway. There were virtually no rules..only one I can remember is "NO GLASS CONTAINERS". We invested heavily in plastic containers, suntan lotion (not block either) and sunglasses. It was a mini Woodstock and the absolute best time ever.
They held 3 of these wonderfully entertaining jams before the MAN brought us down.
I saw everyone from Heart,ZZTop,AC/DC..basically : anyone who was anyone in the music world was there. I wish I could remember more..I was kind of in an Bicardi induced mist some of the time.
As far as seating goes..first come, first serve. We would go 2-3 days early and camp out. My husband would bring provisions and visit, then show up for the concert once the hard part of "seat squatting" was done Did I think to take a camera..take photos?? Hell no ..I was too busy having a good time and counted on my memory. HAHAHA..was I ever wrong on that one.

Jeeze ..I miss the '80s!
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 07:59 PM   #12
LadyCrow
WhY sO SiRiUs?

My all-time favorite concert was Paul McCartney @ Giants Stadium in NJ back in '90. My friend's parents bought us tickets (one of those bus & concert ticket deals), & we had a great time (even w/nosebleed seats).

A damn close second was U2 2 years ago in Albany. A friend's husband had an extra ticket, & called to ask if I wanted to go. Needless to say, we went & had another great time (again w/the nosebleed seats, but w/all the video monitors they had, it didn't matter @ all). It was the 2nd time that I've seen U2 (first time was during the Zoo TV Tour), and I would love to see them again.

3rd? Type O Negative in Clifton Park in '01 (SRO). Even though some asshole decided to hit me in the back of my head w/an orange (that the tall & godly Mr. Steele decided to pass out to the audience), I avoided getting trampled by the mosh pit & still had fun.

My best advice to those whom haven't attended a concert: BRING EARPLUGS!!!

"If there is a bedrock principle of the First Amendment, it is that the government may not prohibit the expression of an idea simply because society finds the idea itself offensive or disagreeable."

-- Justice William J. Brennan
(1906-1997) U. S. Supreme Court Justice
Source: Texas vs. Johnson, 1989

Illegitimi non carborundum...

Whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger. - Heath Ledger
LadyCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 10:02 PM   #13
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie egg
Oh I cant pick a favourite!! Can I do a list? Well I'm going to anyway...

Oasis, Maine Road, standing (jumping) 1996?

Bon Jovi, Old Trafford, standing. 2003

Red Hot Chili Peppers, Manchester Evening News Arena, standing. 2003
Chuckie, you saw Oasis? That's rockin' great. The best one I've been to was Ian Anderson last October in Kansas City. Keep in mind that my concert experience has been rather limited. My little speck in the universe town doesn't give me much chance to see that.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:02 PM   #14
noxxville
Disco Maven

Saw George Clinton & P. Funk at the House of Blues Chicago a couple of weeks ago........oh damn it was good. I simply cannot describe it.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:14 AM   #15
beckstra
one classy broad

Red Hot Chili Peppers Arena Omaha, Nebraska Row 26 as close to the speakers as possible without blowing out my hearing and close enough to see the wrinkles on John Fruicente's face. This was one of the most spiritual experiences I've had in my life. Also, the only time I've walked away from a concert and had to wait three days before I could talk again because I couldn't hear how loud I was.

(tie with)

Counting Crows Ampitheater Kansas City, Kansas Row 16...
Adam Duritz choked on a bug during A Long December and we all laughed till we cried...the couple next to me toked up halfway through, I got them to play Omaha...I bought their whole library within the next three months after the concert. It was so organic and it was almost as amazing as the day I accepted Jesus in my heart...almost.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: