ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > GOOD READING
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-07-2003, 02:03 PM   #1
Happy2BeMe
monkey

Smile Reviews of Books

Hello-I thought it would be interesting to write your own & read other people's reviews of different books.. Please? I'm interested in reading new books because I'm borrred! Pleease-I need your recommendations!
Happy2BeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 04:23 PM   #2
Coffee
Cheeses Save

welll....im not gonna write a review...but I did discover that Star Trek novels are not nearly a sappy as I used to think they would be. Bonus...every thrift store (well not in my area anymore) has dozens of them on their shelves.

ok...now I am totally revealing my self to be a total nerd.

Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 07:51 PM   #3
rapscalious rob

“Taking the Quantum Leap,” by Fred Allan Wolf is recommended if you are interested in learning more about the history and concepts of quantum chromodynamics. It manages to explain all this math and history while being entertaining and non-boring througout. I read it years ago and it sticks out in my mind as one of the better science-for-the-layman books I’ve read.

Thus, I, too, am a nerd… but I have already revealed that.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:44 PM   #4
mememe
monkey

I'm not much for book reviews, but here are a few recommendations:

The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje was one of the most beautiful, lyrically-written books I've ever read. It really does read as if it was a poem, rather than prose. I was very impressed at how seamlessly Ondaatje interwove the lives of four people and their independent stories. And like most books, WAY better than the movie.

The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl. It starts off rather slow, but slowly develops into a very interesting, if not hugely gripping, murder mystery. I enjoyed how Peal not only set the story (& voice) during the time of Longfellow, but had Longfellow & Oliver Wendell Holmes as central characters in the story. But if you don't like how books were written back then, you might not like how this one is written.

Eve's Rib by Marianne Legato. Great book about women's health, specifically arguing that medical research should be gender-specific , as the physical differences between men & women cause disease physiology to be different in the two. eg. women's lung cancers tend to be in the lung periphery vs. men who tend to get it in the center of the lung.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: