ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FICTION PROJECT > Questions, Suggestions, Favorite Lines
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What day of the week works best?
Sunday 1 6.67%
Monday 0 0%
Tuesday 1 6.67%
Wednesday 0 0%
Thursday 0 0%
Friday 3 20.00%
Saturday 10 66.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2002, 11:56 PM   #1
masterofNone
________

24 hour fiction jam/slam planning

Let's narrow this down a bit
masterofNone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 12:02 AM   #2
masterofNone
________

We can use this thread to sign up too

Anybody interested in participating say 'Aye'

If anybody has an idea as to how we can make some dough for a charity while we do it, speak up.

Maybe sign up sponsors to pay a set amount for each hour (or each word)?

Nominate a charity while you're at it.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:07 AM   #3
amanda
old s'cool

Some group that works against illiteracy would be a good logical choice. I'd been in for anything, though. Aye.

Hang on a minute- my Sunday is your Saturday and so forth. (Gotta love the little ol' round planet we live on.) I'll need to go get saskuoch to back me on this one, but I vote for a time that will cover all of us alright- i.e. a weekend night (Friday or Saturday, your time)

Last edited by amanda : 11-15-2002 at 12:11 AM.
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 12:36 AM   #4
masterofNone
________

Saturday mornin' for you would be friday evening for us, right? Maybe we can start friday night and go through til saturday night. So we all percieve it as being essentially saturday.
Old 11-15-2002, 01:10 AM   #5
zefrank
-------------

I can handle some of the logistics on the charity end...

if you are serious about this then I'll set up a space to do it in, make it look pretty and official.

Best way to do it is to set up a sponsorship area which keeps track of pledges (say if someone wants to sponsor you per hour/ or at a flat rate) - people could contact me and tell me how much they are going to pledge...I'll keep track of it on a site.. afterwards I just send e-mails out telling people you've completed the story, include the strory along with the info on how they can donate the money they pledged...

Thats how the blogathon worked...reduces chances of foulplay.
zefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 01:29 AM   #6
amanda
old s'cool

Lessee. Right now, it's Friday afternoon at 1:24 pm. Just checked my world clock- it's Thursday night at 11:24 pm your time (if you're on the East coast)

So, what you said is right. That international date line is a trip.
Old 11-15-2002, 01:34 AM   #7
amanda
old s'cool

Quote:
Originally posted by zefrank
I can handle some of the logistics on the charity end...

if you are serious about this then I'll set up a space to do it in, make it look pretty and official.

Best way to do it is to set up a sponsorship area which keeps track of pledges (say if someone wants to sponsor you per hour/ or at a flat rate) - people could contact me and tell me how much they are going to pledge...I'll keep track of it on a site.. afterwards I just send e-mails out telling people you've completed the story, include the strory along with the info on how they can donate the money they pledged...

Thats how the blogathon worked...reduces chances of foulplay.
Hey, ze...being that I'm half a world away, how can I contribute on the financial side of this?
Old 11-15-2002, 07:38 PM   #8
masterofNone
________

Yeah, we'll take you up on any help and advice, 'ze. I was thinking we could send out emails to our friends and colleagues asking them to pledge a sum per word or per sentence. Then we could go back and count our contributions and ask them to pay up.

If you could put up a pledge page, we could just send our victims to visit it, sign up, and set their contribution per word (or sentence?).
Do you have a way to take paypal or bank cards? That would make it ridiculously easy... but probably a big pain as well for you.

Then when we finish up the jam and talley up our word count we can email our victims with their bill

Does this sound do-able?

suggestions?
Old 11-17-2002, 11:09 AM   #9
saskuoch
Somebody stole my cheese

Hey Amanda - sorry I'm so behind on the support from the other side of the world. I'm bad at reading those messages. I think Masterof hit on a pretty good time for this. Most of the people on the board aren't at work/in class then because it's weekend all over the world. It would start Friday night for them and Saturday morning for us.
We are, of course, now living in what George W. Bush has called the "era of personal responsibility": if a child chooses to have parents who can't afford health care, that child will have to accept the consequences.
saskuoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 03:50 AM   #10
Arif-ul Haq
Lurker

d

Last edited by Arif-ul Haq : 02-06-2007 at 08:37 PM.
Arif-ul Haq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 06:34 PM   #11
masterofNone
________

yep, that makes sense.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:52 PM   #12
nycwriters
Stuck in T.O.

Umm

... please explain to me how this works... you write and write some kind of fictional piece and then charge donaters per word or per page?

I don't mean this in any kind of obnoxious way (you'll know it when I'm obnoxious!) .... but I can crank out about 15 to 20 pages an hour, more if I'm on a roll ... how is that going to work?
nycwriters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 09:06 PM   #13
masterofNone
________

well, you'd be writing as part of a group of writers taking turns over 24 hours. Just as we're doing in the "Dialogue" or "Cantata Del Sol" stories. I'd imagine that we'd each start a different story and then rotate through them adding a sentence and moving on. So, while your speed is remarkable, and valuable, you'd be slowed by the other writers in the Jam. Make sense?
Old 11-20-2002, 09:20 PM   #14
nycwriters
Stuck in T.O.

Yeah but just because I'm speedy doesn't mean it'll be any good ....

But yeah, I think I understand what you want to do ... sounds cool .... I never sleep anyhow, so count me in.
nycwriters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 09:27 PM   #15
masterofNone
________

ze, oh ze?

It looks like we're narrowing in on starting on a friday evening EST as the start. The date could be sometime toward the end of December or beginning of January. I don't know if we want to make people stay up all night around the holidays and I don't know what you ('Ze) will need in terms of set up time. Let us know and we'll hammer out the last details.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: