FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 80 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-15-2005, 05:28 PM   #46
Saxifrage
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig johnston
i've heard lots of stories about saxi and the ladies clytie
and you better watch out, he's a modern day casanova.
liberals have better sex!
Word yo, I'm a playah and you know what they say "don't hate the playah, hate the game"
Old 03-15-2005, 05:39 PM   #47
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig johnston
liberals have better sex!
I want this on a bumper sticker.
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 12:01 AM   #48
Feed the Monkey
Go on, dare ya......

Heya

SP said

"it takes people like you (and even more important, Clytie and Chuckie) to have zero-tolerance policies about the intolerance of your churches."

Luckily my 'churches' are the most tolerent in the world. You've nothing to fear from us Buddhists! It's so much more about finding the wisdom that is inherrant within all life, and to create more fulfilling lives for us all that comes from our end of the spectrum.

You also said

"My sentiments apply however, to all organized religion. Believing in God is not the problem here. The need for any organized religion to demand adherence to a set of narrow-minded and irrational set of beliefs in order to ensure its own survival is."

I agree. No organisation should 'demand' anything. Religion should only exist for the people. This is the primary point. If one loses sight of this then it becomes religion for the sake of religion. Why do we have religion? One simple answer: To allow people to become happy. If any religion fans intolerances then it is not based on true wisdom. A true religion based on true wisdom, and not a narrow minded and irrational set of beliefs, that allows us to see the fundamental truths that underpin all life, and allows us to go out into society armed with those tools to create a better life for all people, whether they believe our religion or not. This is the true power of faith, and should be the true test for any individual who has faith in a perticular religion.

The tolerence/intolerence argument. I see your points, and of course one must be mindful of those who are intolerent. But it's a question of how far this intollerence goes. One must of course speak up. It is our duty and right to. But to what extent intolerence? For me intolerence blocks the possibility for dialogue which in my opinion holds the key for solution in every sense. How can one truly and sincerely hold a dialogue with someone if you are completely intollerent for them? Ganhi said: 'We must be the change we wish to see'. I'm not saying that total pacifism is the answer. i don't beleive that for a moment. One must of course have a deep fighting spirit when we see things that we believe are wrong, but it's how we channel that spirit that's important.
I want more. More oneness, less categories, open hearts, no strategy. Decisions based upon faith and not fear, people who live right now and right here. I want the wisdom that wise men revere. I want more.
Feed the Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 03:21 AM   #49
beckstra
one classy broad

As far as my religious beliefs, these are just the basics, the tip of the iceburg:

I believe God created earth, time, light, animals, veggies, minerals, thought, purpose, etc. I believe we were complete in him until Adam and Eve took the first step into sin (transgression of a religious or moral law). I believe that sin made us incomplete beings, seperated us from God, and created a need for the law and eventual salvation. I believe because of this, we are always searching for that thing that makes us whole, that will save us.

I believe that Jesus is the one who can make us complete because of his sacrifice (i.e. death on the cross and resurection from death breaking the need for and power of the law). I believe that the new covenant is as simple as the Bible states in Luke 10:27: "He (Jesus) answered: 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’" I believe that Jesus, after he defeated sin and death and the law, went to heaven to prepare a place for everyone who believes in him and everyone who on this earth who were never able to be held accountable and/or make a decision, and promised us the comforter, who is the Holy Spirit.

I believe the Holy Spirit is on the earth, everywhere, all God, all God's Spirit, unctioning and guiding as we allow personally, a believer of Judeo-Christianity or not. I believe that the Holy Spirit's guidence is intimated and personalized according to each person's need and will always direct people toward truth (i.e. Luke 10:27).

I believe that Jesus, as he promised in his word (Revelations 22) will return again to have the final say, and those that believed will have a place with him, and those who wanted no part of him will have no part of him.

Nice way to put it, no? I do have beliefs about the devil and the talking ass and all sorts of other biblical things, but I just thought that would end up being too much information.

As far as personal, "political" views are concerned:

I believe we have a choice. We have many choices and those choices have consequences, good or bad. Cause and effect. As far as predestination is concerned, I believe we are all predestined to end up at the same place, but I believe that choice hinders our graduation to that place sometimes.

I believe it is a woman's choice to abort. I don't believe that I will ever personally make the decision to do so, but one man's left is another man's right and I don't get to say who has the best answer.

I believe science is man's cry to fully know God in a way that we'll never know on earth. I believe that discovery is the Holy Spirit's unctioning and revealing of a piece of God's nature. And I believe if life is ever found on another planet, no, they may not know the name "Jesus Christ," but God will have created them different from us with different needs and a different means of filling those needs...maybe they'll be the lucky ones who are made complete and were smart enough to remain that way.

I believe that Bush is an incomplete man, as are Kerry, mother Theresa, Billy Ghram, Ghandi, Hitler, and the homeless guy in downtown Omaha who I always see asking for change. Good, bad, what have you, they're all searching for the same thing and all make steps to find it. Rarely are they the same steps you or I would take.

I believe that slavery is not loving your neighbor as yourself.
I believe adultry is not loving your neighbor as yourself.
I believe my fist encrouching on your nose is not loving my neighbor as myself.
I believe that any harm against a person, be it verbal, physical, emotional, or any of a number of other things, is not loving ones neighbor as themself.

I believe that as long as a homosexual person loves the Lord their God with all their heart, soul, strength, and mind, that they're on the road to completion. If they don't, they're rockin people who I'll love as myself.

I believe that this is getting way long.

Edited to add:
I know there are holes. I'll gladly do my best to fill them in as you find them and question them.

Last edited by beckstra : 03-29-2005 at 01:04 PM.
beckstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 06:50 AM   #50
Coffee
Cheeses Save

I believe that I am drunk...but as I am both observer and subject I can not confirm it. I believe further testing and observation might be necc...

I believe that modern cosmology has a fairly accurate handle on how stars and planets form, and that it is beginning to understand how early galaxies formed. I believe with enough time and better and better test equipment, humans are capable of learning definitively how the universe itself formed.

I believe that the awe and sense of "spiritual" fulfilment that people experience from religion is no more, and possibly even somewhat less, than the awe and "fulfillment" that people experience from an understanding and pursuit of the sciences...because those that pursue sciences can "touch" and/or truly personally "experience" the objects of their admiration...wheras the religious have to wonder if they are being decieved. The actual light/photons from a galaxy 60 million light years away have physically passed through the lens of my eye, which expended its energy packet in exciting my optical nerves sending electrical impulses to my brain...what an unlikely yet personally fulfilling end to a bunch of photons...I believe it is awesome that a piece of a distant galaxy has traveled millions of years to touch me. Paleontologists have unearthed and held the physical remains of dinosaurs...fossilized bones waiting patiently for over 65 million years to fulfill a paleontologist. Anthropologists have cradled our distant ancestors in their loving hands...****ing awesome.

And on the "Woo-Woo" side...I believe that those that say that travel at velocities faster than light is impossible, are stuck in absolutist thinking and will someday be proved wrong...just as those that said space flight was impossible, just as those who claimed that faster than sound travel was impossible, just as those that claimed flight was impossible, just as those that said everthing revolved around the earth were proved wrong.

I believe that if people have a Great Big Goal in mind, and work to achieve it, anything is possible...even the impossible.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 06:58 AM   #51
topcat
monkey

i believe coffee is drunk. i might even believe he is a little stoned.

This is an internet bulletin board.

Nothing more. Nothing less
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 07:17 AM   #52
amanda
old s'cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed the Monkey
Luckily my 'churches' are the most tolerent in the world. You've nothing to fear from us Buddhists!
please, don't do this.

buddhism has a long, bloody history.

if I recall, your brand is from the 12th century, Japan?
precisely the same choice of the samurai to become better fighters. it was also the choice of kamakazi pilots during japan's wars of aggression in the 1940s.

tolerance was not the last thought going through the minds of the those who were torched in Sri Lanka by the Sinhala Buddists in 1983... over 50,000 dead in a civil war that is STILL poisioning that beautiful island.

do not be fooled by your own wishful thinking. get the facts.
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:46 PM   #53
Saxifrage
monkey

I have probably posted this before but I just can't help myself:

There are Jews in the world.
There are Buddhists.
There are Hindus and Mormons, and then
There are those that follow Mohammed, but
I've never been one of them.
I'm a Roman Catholic,
And have been since before I was born,
And the one thing they say about Catholics is:
They'll take you as soon as you're warm.
You don't have to be a six-footer.
You don't have to have a great brain.
You don't have to have any clothes on. You're
A Catholic the moment Dad came,
Because
Every sperm is sacred.
Every sperm is great.
If a sperm is wasted,
God gets quite irate.
CHILDREN:
Every sperm is sacred.
Every sperm is great.
If a sperm is wasted,
God gets quite irate.

GIRL:
Let the heathen spill theirs
On the dusty ground.
God shall make them pay for
Each sperm that can't be found.
CHILDREN:
Every sperm is wanted.
Every sperm is good.
Every sperm is needed
In your neighbourhood.
MUM:
Hindu, Taoist, Mormon,
Spill theirs just anywhere,
But God loves those who treat their
Semen with more care.
MEN:
Every sperm is sacred.
Every sperm is great.
WOMEN:
If a sperm is wasted,...
CHILDREN:
...God get quite irate.
PRIEST:
Every sperm is sacred.
BRIDE and GROOM:
Every sperm is good.
NANNIES:
Every sperm is needed...
CARDINALS:
...In your neighbourhood!
CHILDREN:
Every sperm is useful.
Every sperm is fine.
FUNERAL CORTEGE:
God needs everybody's.
MOURNER #1:
Mine!
MOURNER #2:
And mine!
CORPSE:
And mine!
NUN:
Let the Pagan spill theirs
O'er mountain, hill, and plain.
HOLY STATUES:
God shall strike them down for
Each sperm that's spilt in vain.
EVERYONE:
Every sperm is sacred.
Every sperm is good.
Every sperm is needed
In your neighbourhood.
Every sperm is sacred.
Every sperm is great.
If a sperm is wasted,
God gets quite iraaaaaate!
Old 03-30-2005, 06:14 PM   #54
Smartypants
MR. Smartypants to you.

Location: Oh, YOU PEOPLE go ahead and call it "Frisco." See if I care.
^^^^ hahaha! What's that from?

"I don't think God wants us to believe in him. If he wanted us to believe in him he'd do something about it -- like exist perhaps!" --Linda Smith
Smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 06:31 PM   #55
MelisBFly
How soon is now?

I believe that we will never have FACTS or PROOF of any one person and/or group being "right". That's why it's a belief.

Personally, I haven't chosen one specific religion or group of ideals yet. I actually have a bad taste in my mouth from most christian religions. Growing up with my dad he never had us go to church on a regular basis and being that he's of a laid back hippy character, he never made us go. He did encourage any discussion or attendance of any church.

When I was a small child (age 6-9) I attended many different churches with friends. (mostly as a result of sleep-overs on saturday nights) More often than not, I would be singled out as a "New Guest" and asked questions like: what church does your family go to? When I replied that I didn't attend church on a regular basis nor did I have a label (methodist, baptist, etc.) I was always taken aside at some point and told that I had to realize that if I didn't go to church, didn't accept the blood of christ, etc. that I would burn in hell for eternity. *Here I am, 6 years old and I'm scared to death that my sisters, my dad and I would suffer because we don't go to church!* When I got home, I charged at my dad crying and questioned him as to why it is that he wanted us to burn in hell. He calmed me down and said, "learn as much as you can, be a good person, treat others as you would like to be treated, and if you find a religion that you can believe in whole heartedly follow that."

As I've gotten older I've had to ponder this whole belief thing a lot and I'm sad to say that I haven't been able to pick one. A lot of them have the right idea but I can't follow a religion that thinks it knows all and is so unaccepting of so many things.
MelisBFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 07:52 PM   #56
melissa
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartypants
Monty Python's The Meaning of Life.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:08 PM   #57
Saxifrage
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa
Monty Python's The Meaning of Life.
What she said.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:44 PM   #58
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxifrage
Every sperm is sacred.
Every sperm is great.
If a sperm is wasted,
God gets quite iraaaaaate!
If this is true, God must HATE the Kleenex industry.
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 02:04 PM   #59
Saxifrage
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelisBFly
I believe that we will never have FACTS or PROOF of any one person and/or group being "right". That's why it's a belief.

Personally, I haven't chosen one specific religion or group of ideals yet. I actually have a bad taste in my mouth from most christian religions. Growing up with my dad he never had us go to church on a regular basis and being that he's of a laid back hippy character, he never made us go. He did encourage any discussion or attendance of any church.

When I was a small child (age 6-9) I attended many different churches with friends. (mostly as a result of sleep-overs on saturday nights) More often than not, I would be singled out as a "New Guest" and asked questions like: what church does your family go to? When I replied that I didn't attend church on a regular basis nor did I have a label (methodist, baptist, etc.) I was always taken aside at some point and told that I had to realize that if I didn't go to church, didn't accept the blood of christ, etc. that I would burn in hell for eternity. *Here I am, 6 years old and I'm scared to death that my sisters, my dad and I would suffer because we don't go to church!* When I got home, I charged at my dad crying and questioned him as to why it is that he wanted us to burn in hell. He calmed me down and said, "learn as much as you can, be a good person, treat others as you would like to be treated, and if you find a religion that you can believe in whole heartedly follow that."

As I've gotten older I've had to ponder this whole belief thing a lot and I'm sad to say that I haven't been able to pick one. A lot of them have the right idea but I can't follow a religion that thinks it knows all and is so unaccepting of so many things.
I experimented with many different religions while growing up. None had what I was looking for. I don't think you should have to choose. I believe that as long as you hold yourself to a positive code of morality. Do good to others in act no matter your feelings, don't betray the ones you love, do not physically hurt others except out of self defense. Those are just a few rules that I try to follow and I have no belief that a heaven or hell is waiting for me based on my decisions. I just realise that to advance as a species we have to do certain things, behave in a reasonable manner. This reasonable manner may change from person to person, basic laws such as "Do not murder" and "do not steal" are very practical laws and would instruct those without accurate personal moral compasses.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:07 PM   #60
Saxifrage
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartypants
and if you like the lyrics you would love the huge dance number.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: