JesusTitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 05:06 PM   #347
rmr

rmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 12:56 AM   #348
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Miss Ratlette gave me this recipe courtesy of her school secretary, who makes these cookies for kids who win "milk and cookies with the principal." I found 'em a bit chewyooeygooey for my taste -- I baked the second batch a little longer to make them crispier.

MOLASSES CRACKLES

3/4 c margarine (butter in my house)
1 c sugar
1 egg
1/4 c molasses
2 c flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt

Cream the sugar and butter. Add the egg and molasses. Continue to mix. Add the rest of the ingredients. Mix well. Chill. Form chilled dough into balls and then roll in some granulated sugar.

Place balls on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes (or longer). Makes 32.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:18 AM   #349
Sapphire
Hippy Chick

Rayjack Meatloaf

Trish, I'm so glad you bumped this - just the kind of thread I was looking for!
Handy, too. I always have a hard time figuring out what to make for dinner. I have a huge collection of cook books, but I just don't like making something unless someone else has said, "this really IS good." LOL

I don't like meatloaf. Normally. I had some ground sirloin I had to use up, and ended up creating the first meatloaf I ever liked. I tend to be really bad at following recipes, I like to improvise too much. So adjust to taste. And yes, brands are important - the Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce and the Jack Daniels mustard combine really nicely - I mix them when I make ribs, too.

2lbs ground sirloin - or really lean ground beef. With the added liquid of the BBQ sauce, it will fall apart if you don't use a really lean cut.
2 eggs - beaten
1 C. Bread Crumbs - I usually buy the generic "italian style" because they're good for everything and have extra seasonings.
1 Chopped Onion, medium to large size.
Sea Salt (to taste - we only use sea salt)
Fresh Ground Pepper (to taste - we like about 2t.)
Fresh or Dried Parsley (to taste - though I usually add about 2Tb.)
Jack Daniels Old No. 7 Mustard (usually about 3Tb. for us)
About 1C. Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ Sauce total - about 3/4C. goes in the mix and 1/4C. goes on top near the end.

Combine it all together and bake on a rack set in your pan or on a broiler pan at 350 for an hour. Remove and drain if needed - shouldn't really be necessary though. Pour remaining 1/4C. of BBQ sauce over top, spreading it around and bake another 20-30 minutes.

We like leftovers, and this makes about 3 days worth of meals.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:37 AM   #350
Sapphire
Hippy Chick

For Zenbabe: Heart of palm salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbabe
I have found that I am now addicted to heart of palm salad, however, I haven't gotten the recipe quite right yet.

My last attempt, I sliced the heart of palm and marinated it in italian dressing and added some feta cheese, crumbled.

It still isn't perfect yet, the dressing I think is to strong. Maybe it is the feta.....im not sure.

If you have any ideas on this delectible treat, please let me know!!!!
My mother-in-law had heart of palm salad on vacation last year and wanted to make it at home - all she could remember at the time was that it had Parmesan in it. I did a google search and found a great recipe. I'm not sure if this one is the exact same one we made, but it looks like it. I realize you asked for said recipe a longggggggggggg way back, but if you're still looking for a yummy one, try this!

Heart of Palm Parmesan Salad

1 (14 ounce) can hearts of palm, drained & rinsed. (Try and get heart of palm from a coconut tree)
2 medium tomatoes, seeded & chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 green onions, chopped (use white & green parts)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper (Use fresh cracked pepper)
2 ounces parmesan cheese, freshly shaved
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
  1. Cut the hearts of palm into 1/2" wide pieces Combine all but the parmesan ingredients in a large bowl.
  2. toss and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes allowing the flavors to blend Serve with shavings of Parmesan on top of the salad.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:07 PM   #351
Sapphire
Hippy Chick

I noticed a yummy sounding recipe for chili - definitely liked the fact that it used ground turkey, that's how I make mine too. I'm a huge chili fan. I make it six or seven times a year during winter months and freeze the leftovers, which never last more than a week or two anyway. LOL I get asked to make it for just about every party, etc. we attend, so I guess I'm doing something right.

I never make it the same way twice, but here are some basic tips for chili making:

1. Use ground turkey. No one but you will know but it makes an enormous difference in the taste.

2. Turkey likes to stay in "clumps." Make sure you break it up really fine.

3, When you have browned and drained the turkey, toss it back in the pan and throw in a small amount of whatever primary ingredients you will be adding to the chili - the tomatoes, the chilis, the spices, the beans - put about 1/8th of them in with the turkey, add a little water if needed, and let it simmer for about 20 minutes. You really want the turkey to be infused with the flavors.

4. No chili is complete without: Honey, brown sugar and maple syrup.
Yes, I'm serious. I discovered this about 10 years ago. I always use fresh peppers in my chili, never just powders. I bought some "pretty orangish, yellowish peppers" at the store, having no idea that these were some of the hottest peppers known to man. Ooopps. Fortunately, I remembered having read somewhere that honey would cut some of the heat. Not only did it cut the heat, it made a damn good batch of chili. Through some 70+ experiments over the years, I've learned to make my chili really hot to begin with, then start cutting the heat by adding honey, brown sugar and maple syrup. Not the Aunt Jemima crap either - GOOD quality maple syrup. You get the bite of 5 Alarm Chili without the eye watering tongue burning. Don't add the honey, brown sugar or maple syrup to step 3 by the way.

5. Chili is complimented very nicely by finely diced purple onion, a hefty blurp (yes, that's a technical term ) of sour cream and mild shredded cheddar cheese all liberally sprinkled on top of each individual serving.

6. Chili "ferments" or something. When you freeze it, it gets stronger. The tastes become deeper. Personally, I like whatever changes it goes through. However, if you find it has become too strong, toss it in a pan on the stove top, bring it to a slow boil, and add in a little honey. Also, I know there's a tendency to reheat chili in the microwave. Please don't. Reheat it properly on the stove bringing it slowly up to temperature. Microwaves change the tastes of food - and while you might not notice it with most foods, a microwave can ruin a good chili. I don't know why this is. I've had a few friends tell me this only happens with chili made with actual peppers, rather than ones seasoned with spices. I'm not sure how accurate that is since I don't use the spices.

7. Last but not least - if you're heading to the mitten state, let me know and I'll cook up a batch! LOL
Old 09-18-2005, 05:50 PM   #352
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Cool

This is from that drunk on the Food Network, Sandra Lee. (Seriously, every other show includes an AWESOME drink recipe) We are going to make these later, will let you know how they turn out.

Healthy Onion Rings

Nonstick cooking spray
1 large onion
1 1/4 cups Italian style bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
1 cup low-fat milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 large egg whites, beaten slightly

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray 2 large cookie sheets with nonstick spray. Cut onion into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Separate slices into rings. In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs and garlic. Set aside. Place milk, flour, and egg whites into three separate small bowls. Dip each onion ring into milk, flour, egg white, and bread crumbs (in that order). Place on prepared cookie sheets and bake for 20 minutes. Turn onion rings over and bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes longer.
Yield: 4 servings
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 06:14 PM   #353
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Tomato-based Chicken Alfredo

1-2 jars alfredo sauce
1 can diced tomatoes w/Italian seasonings, juice & all
1 red pepper, cut into strips
1 green pepper, cut into strips
1 box fresh mushrooms (8 or 16 oz, washed & sliced)
chicken breast meat, cut into strips or chunks
1 can black olives, drained well

Saute cut up chicken in LARGE frying pan, in a little olive oil. When chicken is half done, add vegetables. Saute another 5-10 minutes. In a big saucepan, mix alfredo sauce w/the can of tomatoes & their juices & seasonings. When chicken is fully cooked & vegetables are tender, transfer chicken mixture into sauce pot. At the VERY END, RIGHT before serving, mix in the black olives.

Serve over hot cooked pasta of your choice. I like angel hair nests.
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 11:49 PM   #354
Smartypants
MR. Smartypants to you.

Location: Oh, YOU PEOPLE go ahead and call it "Frisco." See if I care.
Chocolate Chirpie Chip Cookies

"I don't think God wants us to believe in him. If he wanted us to believe in him he'd do something about it -- like exist perhaps!" --Linda Smith
Smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 11:53 PM   #355
melissa
monkey

Did you make those this weekend, Smarty?
Old 09-19-2005, 07:39 PM   #356
Jack Flanders
landscaping is fun

This is a yum warm soup recipe that is really easy to make and freeze later.

Curried Pumpkin Soup Makes 6 cups but easy to double, triple... the recipe.

1/2 lb sliced mushrooms
1/2 c. diced onions
2 T unsalted butter
2 T flour
1 T curry powder
3 c chicken stock
1 lb can plain pureed pumpkin (not the stuff ready to dump right into premade pie shells)
1 T honey
pinch of nutmeg
1 c half & half or heavy cream

In a heavy sauce pan cook mushrooms and onion in the butter over moderate heat, stirring until onion is softened.

Add flour and curry powder to pan over low heat, stirring constantly for 5 minutes but leave one hand free to drink some already poured wine of choice rmr.

Remove pan from heat, add chicken stock in stream, whisking (I like that word!) and stir in pumpkin, honey, nutmeg and salt & pepper to taste.

Simmer soup, stirring occasionally for 15 min.

Stir in cream and reheat soup when ready to serve - do not let it boil.

Rich enough to have as a meal with some good crusty bread. I have a Halloween party every year and make up a pot of this soup and a big pot of chili w/cornbread.

Yummmm
Jack Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 02:04 PM   #357
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

for madasacutsnake when she feels better

Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic
-------------------------------
Ingredients:
3 whole heads garlic, or about 40 cloves
2 cut up chickens, about 3 1/2 lb each, 8 pieces each
Salt
Fresh ground pepper
1 T unsalted butter
2 T good olive oil
1 1/2 c dry white wine
3 T cognac
1 T fresh thyme leaves
2 T all-purpose flour
2 T heavy cream (half and half OK)

Recipe serves six, but halves easily, or makes good leftovers/snacks.

Drop the cloves of garlic into a pot of boiling water. Wait for 60 seconds, then drain garlic, separate heads into cloves, peel, and set aside. Season the chicken liberally w/salt and pepper, and heat the oil and butter in a LARGE pot over medium-high heat. In batches, saute the chicken, skin-side down first, until nicely browned, about 3-5 minutes each side. Turn with tongs or a spatula (don't pierce with a fork), and if the oil is burning, lower heat to medium. When each batch is done (I did 8 pieces at a go), transfer it to a plate.

Next, add all the garlic to the pot. Lower the heat and saute for 5-10 minutes, turning often, until evenly browned. Add wine and 2T of the cognac, bring to a boil, and scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Return the chicken to the pot with the juices and sprinkle with the thyme leaves. Cover and simmer over the lowest heat possible for about 30 minutes, until all the chicken is cooked through (I found this took more like 40 minutes, and snake, you will probably want to take that long too).

Remove the chicken to a platter and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm. In a small bowl, whisk together flour and 1/2 c of the sauce from the pot, and then whisk it back into the sauce in the pot. Raise the heat to medium-high, add cream and the remaining T of cognac,and boil for 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour the sauce and the garlic over the chicken and serve hot.

Outcome got rave reviews here.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:49 AM   #358
madasacutsnake
no more nice girl

^^

As soon as I can stand up again, I'll try it.

Here's the honey mustard chicken recipe I filched from the 'net the other day.

8 chicken legs
1/2 cup dijonnaise mustard
1/2 cup honey
100g butter

Melt the butter, mustard and honey together in an oven proof pan. When combined, add the chicken legs. It's best to have the legs only half covered in the sauce so choose a pan that will allow that to happen. Baste the exposed parts of the chicken in the sauce and the skin will go beautifully crispy. Bake at 180C for 1 1/4 hours.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:39 PM   #359
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

I cooked this and ate it. Others here ate it too. There is no question that the meat and cheese substitutes deserve to have quotation marks wrapped around them. Still, makes a decent meal with some decent leftovers.

Lazy Vegan Lasagna
Ingredients:
1 pkg."no boil" lasagna noodles
1-2 cans spaghetti sauce (I used one 700mL can)
1 pkg. firm tofu, liquified
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning or fennel (optional)
1/2 pkg. casein-less soy or nut "cheese", shredded
1 cup prepared textured soy protein or other meat substitute, precooked.
various vegetables (optional)

Directions:

1. Get a baking pan (around 9 by 13 or so), and spread a layer of spaghetti sauce on the bottom.

2. Top the spaghetti sauce with 2 or 3 of the lasagna noodles, depending on the size you buy.

3. Pour another layer of spaghetti sauce over the noodles.

4. Top this layer of spaghetti sauce with the tofu spread, then the "cheese", and finally with the cooked "meat".

5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 until either you use all of your ingredients, or you overfill the pan. (I topped it all with the "cheese" and covered in foil.)

6. Place the pan in an oven preheated to 350-400 degrees, depending on the oven. Cook for about a half hour or until noodles are tender.

Serves: 4

Preparation time: 15 minutes
Old 09-29-2005, 01:43 PM   #360
rmr

Quote:
I cooked this and ate it.
sold!!
rmr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: