lapietra
half baked

blargh

i am grateful to be working

but ugh.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:04 PM   #2
Reader
monkey

Especially right after a holiday.You know, you've been used to kind of dragging into work, leaving early, people bringing in great food, long lunches, most in a festive mood.

Then suddenly, WHAM! Everyone's back and down to business trying to make up for the time they were off (especially bosses!), people are trying to cut down to only a billion calories a day, and to add insult to injury, it's 80 degrees today!
Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 01:14 PM   #3
chuckie egg
a peach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapietra
i am grateful to be working

but ugh.
My sentiments exactly
chuckie egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 03:55 PM   #4
red
elite rabble

right on Reader!
The hell with this humid spring-like weather!
When will I EVER get to wear the two sweaters I own?

It's too bad people are cutting back their calories AND trying to work harder. That combo just seems to make everyone cranky.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:55 PM   #5
lapietra
half baked

I wouldn't mind so much if I was doing something interesting... but I'm on a temp assignment as an admin, doing absolutely *EVERYTHING* I hate doing.
*however*... it is *very* good to have an income, and the people are pretty nice, so I will make the best of it... but I must say BLARGH.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:09 PM   #6
Clytie
thundering is my favorite

i worked all the holidays...
didnt get time off at all... yea $$ but no break!
bound by the rich red that runs coarsing
united we stand
stronger than before
able to face the dark
with hands entwined
Clytie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 05:14 PM   #7
melissa
monkey

Lala, what happened to your other job?
Old 01-04-2005, 06:36 PM   #8
lapietra
half baked

laid off...

urgh... I just had to schedule a lunch... I was asked to find a nice restaurant halfway between our company and the other person's company... I set up a tentative time & date, and the guy who asked me to schedule the lunch comes back with "I'm assuming that you'll confirm this w/ N___? Please make sure she's comfortable in driving to T___. I don't think T___ is half way, however, if N___'s fine with it then that works for me as well. Did B____ select the resturaunt?"

My response:
"Hi E___ –
I selected the restaurant based on criteria P____ gave me. It is almost exactly halfway between (our company) and (their company). The appointment will remain “Tentative” until N____confirms."

I mean, ffs, micromanagement - how hard is it to do this? MUST I be minutely questioned on every little f'ing detail?
BLARGH.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:38 PM   #9
melissa
monkey

I'm sorry you were laid off. And it sounds like your current temp position is tedious and Hell-like. ugh.

The board will be here for your work-related venting needs!
Old 01-04-2005, 06:45 PM   #10
Frieda
in limbo

hey, you're new. they're hoping you won't fvck up! they don't know yet that you won't fvck up

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 06:56 PM   #11
dinzdale
King of the špatnýs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapietra
I was laid off...
BLARGH.
for projectile vomiting?
dinzdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 07:21 PM   #12
lapietra
half baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frieda
hey, you're new. they're hoping you won't fvck up! they don't know yet that you won't fvck up
I know... I'm just sick of continuously landing in back in temp assignments where I have to keep proving that I can do simple tasks without ****ing them up... I mean, you're a pretty freakin' brilliant woman. Imagine if people kept checking to see if you know how to... I dunno - think of something elementary
Old 01-04-2005, 09:28 PM   #13
Deviate
Butt-F***ing the World

go through a score of one of your favourite musicals. or recite an album through your head. or practice a monologue. and anytime someone tries to micromanage you remember that your job is not your life, it is your income, and that you are more brilliant out of that environment. don't forget you always shine, doll.
Deviate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 09:58 PM   #14
Aphrodite
Myth Demeanour

Another suggestion for Lala.

I am still being "trained". My first evaluation was last Friday. I was told I was very intelligent, a fast learner, and would go far.
When they teach me something new, I watch and listen and learn. When they teach me something I already know, I watch and listen and learn. That gives them the concept that I picked up everything, "so quickly". No one second guesses me if they feel that they have had a hand in teaching me.

Everybody is happy and I got the opportunity to take a five minute mental break while they showed me how to do something I've known how to do for years.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:32 PM   #15
lapietra
half baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by deev
go through a score of one of your favourite musicals. or recite an album through your head. or practice a monologue. and anytime someone tries to micromanage you remember that your job is not your life, it is your income, and that you are more brilliant out of that environment. don't forget you always shine, doll.
Thanky sweets I do get back to that eventually... (I'm singing my "Cat Food" song in my head and drinking Tazo "Calm" tea... it's helping...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrodite
Another suggestion for Lala.

I am still being "trained". My first evaluation was last Friday. I was told I was very intelligent, a fast learner, and would go far.
When they teach me something new, I watch and listen and learn. When they teach me something I already know, I watch and listen and learn. That gives them the concept that I picked up everything, "so quickly". No one second guesses me if they feel that they have had a hand in teaching me.

Everybody is happy and I got the opportunity to take a five minute mental break while they showed me how to do something I've known how to do for years.
I do appreciate the suggestion... If you knew me, you would know that I often do this also, automatically. I'm possibly the most accommodating person you'll ever meet. It's not that I hate being trained, at all - having temped as much as I've had, I've learned that every office does things slightly differently than others - but when people get kind of condescending, it rankles. Once you've told me what you want, just, please, let me do it.
Over time, I've come to realize I can't stand being underassessed. I *will* set people straight. I'll try to do it nicely - but I can't help but think about how people engage in racial profiling, how offensive it is, and how similar the way people think about temps is...
Anyway. I'm giving this far too much thought.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: