ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > DEBATE HALL
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-31-2005, 10:59 AM   #1
RonPrice
Mr RonPrice

Baha'i Apologetics and Debate

Apologetics is a branch of systematic theology, although some experience it’s thrust in religious studies or philosophy of religion courses. Some encounter it on the internet for the first time in a more populist and usually much less academic form. As I see it, apologetics is primarily concerned with the protection of a religious position, the refutation of that position's assailants and, in the larger sense, the exploration of that position in the context of prevailing philosophies and standards in a secular society. Apologetics, to put it slightly differently, is concerned with answering critical inquiries, criticism of a position, in a rational manner. Apologetics is not possible, it seems to me anyway, without a commitment to and a desire to defend a position. For me, the core of my position I could express in one phrase: the Baha'i Revelation. With that said, though, the activity I engage in, namely, apologetics, is a never ending exercise.

The apologetics that concerns me is not so much Christian apologetics but Baha'i apologetics. There are many points of comparison and contrast, though, which I won't go into here. Christians will have the opportunity to defend Christianity by the use of apologetics. And I will in turn defend the Baha'i Faith by the use of apologetics. In the process we will both, hopefully, learn something about our respective Faiths, our religions, which we hold to our hearts dearly.

At the outset, then, in this my first posting, my intention is simply to make this start, to state what you might call "my apologetics position." This brief statement indicates, in broad outline, where I am coming from in the weeks and months ahead. -Ron Price with thanks to Udo Schaefer, "Baha'i Apologetics?" Baha'i Studies Review, Vol. 10, 2001/2002.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________
A Brief Signature:

I am a Canadian who has been living in Australia for 33 years. I am married to a Tasmanian and have been for 30 years. We have three children aged 39, 34 and 27. I am retired, am 60 years of age and have been a member of the Baha’i Faith for 45 years.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________
Ron Price is a retired teacher, aged 65. He taught for 35 years in primary, secondary and post-secondary schools. He lives with his wife, Chris, in Tasmania. Their 3 children are now aged: 42, 38 and 32. Ron moved to Australia from Canada in 1971. He has written three books since 1999. They are all available on the internet for free. Ron has been a member of the Baha’i Faith since 1959 and now lives in Australia’s oldest town, George Town Tasmania founded in 1804.
RonPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:20 AM   #2
rmr

it's good to see you back RonPrice
rmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:38 AM   #3
madasacutsnake
no more nice girl

You see Fox. I told you so. And Margaret not even cold in her grave yet.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:19 PM   #4
Hyakujo's Fox
left hanging

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
Are you suggested Margaret might have met with foul play?
Hyakujo's Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 01:41 PM   #5
Avalon

Foul play? Margaret likes chickens?
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 03:40 PM   #6
lapietra
half baked

i like chickens
'cos chickens can make you mine
i like chickens
eating their eggs and feeling fiiiiine
when the lights go down
i'm holding them so tight
got one in my arms
and it's paradise 'til the morning liiiiIIIIIGHT
Old 08-31-2005, 04:24 PM   #7
Avalon

www.subservientchicken.com
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx
Old 09-01-2005, 12:11 AM   #8
Gatsby
I used to be a girl

Ron Price! You're back! I missed you!

*claps hands in wild glee*
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 12:11 AM   #9
Brynn
constantly amazed

Welcome back, Ron. You're an extremely good sport to show up, and I hope you'll enjoy yourself. You have my respect. And my apologies, btw, for any offense I may have caused. I hope you have a good sense of humor - you'll need it .

It's so interesting - just last week I had a very long but fascinating conversation with a guy who was kind enough to explain a few things about the Baha'i faith to me. Apparently there are about 4000 devotees here in Portland.

I dated a fellow from Iran a long time ago who was Baha'i - he was in exile because he and his relatives were being persecuted there for being Baha'i - it was right around the time the Ayatollah Khomeni was forcing that whole society to conform to Islam. He went back to help his family, and returned about a year later. Almost his entire family had been murdered or forced out. That's about the extent of what I know about Baha'i - except for some sketchy idea that the faith is one of the most inclusive and tolerant I've ever come across - mostly I suppose because of it's emphasis on unity?
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 01:32 AM   #10
madasacutsnake
no more nice girl

^^

Don't hold your breath waiting for a response, will you?
Old 09-01-2005, 04:31 AM   #11
funkytuba
Spone to Proonerisms

Maybe I should send him my copy of the Book of Mormon
Old 09-01-2005, 09:08 PM   #12
Avalon

Quote:
Maybe I should send him my copy of the Book of Mormon
That Joseph Smith was a wild and crezzy guy like Ron..I say, go for it
Groucho Marx
Old 09-03-2005, 02:32 PM   #13
Brynn
constantly amazed

Oxygen anyone?

I think this is a thread that needs lots of breathing space....he'll be back. And no cracks about the return of the Messiah!
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 09:57 AM   #14
RonPrice
Mr RonPrice

I'm Back!

Do you remember in Hamlet there was the ghost of a dead king. I feel a little like him after being away for such a long time from this site--at which the response is so, so, what shall I say? ...when I think of the word I will let you know....in the meantime:

I just want to register my continued existence. Unlike the dead king in Hamlet, I was not murdered by my brother. Unlike some Tasmanians I am not, nor have I ever been, involved in an incestuous relationship. I have not played any baseball since 1962; I have read the Book of Mormon--at least as much of it as I could stand--and I shall return to this site to engage in some apologetics as promised.-Ron
Ron Price is a retired teacher, aged 65. He taught for 35 years in primary, secondary and post-secondary schools. He lives with his wife, Chris, in Tasmania. Their 3 children are now aged: 42, 38 and 32. Ron moved to Australia from Canada in 1971. He has written three books since 1999. They are all available on the internet for free. Ron has been a member of the Baha’i Faith since 1959 and now lives in Australia’s oldest town, George Town Tasmania founded in 1804.
RonPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 01:42 PM   #15
Avalon

Quote:
I was not murdered by my brother. Unlike some Tasmanians I am not, nor have I ever been, involved in an incestuous relationship. I have not played any baseball since 1962; I have read the Book of Mormon--at least as much of it as I could.

Never say never..there is still time for all of these things.

Groucho Marx

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: