ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > Out of the way eats
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2002, 12:33 PM   #1
sweetdarlin

Austin, TX - Good Eats, baby!

So many places to eat in this town!
Let me just recommend all of y'all coming in for a visit. It's the best town in Texas!

Top All-night Eats:
1. Kerby Lane South (so. Lamar and Manchaca)
2. Katz's Deli (West 6th)
3. Magnolia at Lake Austin Blvd.
4. Magnolia on So. Congress

Best Burgers:
Dirty's! (aka Dirty Martin's...don't let the name throw you off...they always managed to rate at least 70 with the health inspector )

Something Fancier:
1. Sullivan's ($$$$$)
2. Ruth's Chris on 6th ($$$$$$$$...okay off the charts! But if you like steak and enjoy schmoozing with the local elite, go here)

I only got $2.00!
1. Thundercloud Subs (Lake Austin Blvd.)
2. Juan in A Million (the best breakfast tacos EVER)

Okay....I'm sure I could come up with more.
Austinites out there???
sweetdarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 01:17 AM   #2
saskuoch
Somebody stole my cheese

When I'm in the states I make it to Austin about every month or so. I'm never there long enough to find very many places to eat, so I've just been to the basics. I'll definitely agree with you on Kerby Lane and Magnolia. That's in part because I really like to eat late at night. I really wish I could remember the names of some of the tasty Mexican places I've gone to.

Oh! here's something random (and not quite "good eats", but a good snack). There's a sno-cone place on 51st a little west of I-35. They have every flavor I can imagine wanting on a sno-cone.
We are, of course, now living in what George W. Bush has called the "era of personal responsibility": if a child chooses to have parents who can't afford health care, that child will have to accept the consequences.
saskuoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 07:21 AM   #3
saskuoch
Somebody stole my cheese

I quite like the Avenue B Grocery. Tiny neighborhood grocery store that also sells really good sandwiches. You get to eat on picnic tables right outside the store (or you can carry your food home). At W44th Street.
We are, of course, now living in what George W. Bush has called the "era of personal responsibility": if a child chooses to have parents who can't afford health care, that child will have to accept the consequences.
saskuoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 05:29 PM   #4
movai

Smile goog eats

the green mesquite off s. lamar and barton springs has really good bbq. they hook it up, too. tons of food for a great price & they have bluegrass on sundays outside.
if you're looking for tex-mex, chuy's is just down the road from there. the one up north off 183 has a nice patio and really good margarita's. try the chuychanga with the ultimate tomatillo sauce.
movai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 01:33 PM   #5
katester
jack's smirking revenge

coffee and food!

Well, most of my favorites are already posted, but one little place NOT down on the drag that has awesome food-
Satallite Cafe
It's in the Y in Oak Hill, tucked away in the corner down the way from Gatti Town (ick). They have an awesome food selection, and the people are really stinkin cool (shout out to josh and corey!)
Also, another awesome place is
Spiderhouse, best coffee I've had in a while- super atmosphere.
It's in a really old house, relaxed with lots of dilapitated furniture, and the patio has tons of rusting fun things (last time i saw an airplave off of a carousel, and an old bumper car) and lights all over. Great place to study and relax with good coffee. It's right across Guadalupe from Toy Joy.
One more- Metro.
It's on the drag next to the eckards, great coffee- open 24/7.

Enjoy!
KT
katester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 04:24 AM   #6
katester
jack's smirking revenge

one more-
Rudy's
loop 360- going towards outward.
i mean, if we're gonna talk texas, we gotta include the awesome bbq!!!!
Old 10-03-2002, 10:56 AM   #7
sweetdarlin

BBQ

Come on....if you REALLY want to talk BBQ you can only mention one place (this is arguable of course)...

The Salt Lick! That place is the best! If you haven't been (or you're coming to Austin) and would like to know where it is:

Take 290W, Turn left onto Camp Ben McCollough (sp?) road, keep going until you get to the restaurant. It'll be on the right. It's probably about 15 or 20 minutes in from the time you turn onto that road.
sweetdarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 11:12 PM   #8
fodder

piccolo on rio grande, close to texas bread and vulcan

1. it has escargot
2. not too expensive
3. classy but not restrictive
4. italian food
5. good service

probably the best restaurant in austin

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: