ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-24-2006, 10:59 PM   #1
beckstra
one classy broad

This Is The Thread Where We Say "Ouch"...

I went to my first swing dancing workshop this weekend. I didn't actually shed any tears. I couldn't really because of all the sweating I had done.

I understand now why people get hooked on popping pills. Did you know there are muscles in your butt? I had no idea. I also know about muscles in my abdomen that I was pretty clueless about five months ago.

But I'm still looking better and wearing smaller and smaller clothes.

Nevertheless...........ouch.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:15 PM   #2
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckstra
Did you know there are muscles in your butt?
hahahahaHAHAHAHA, yes I did. You are too cute. I'm glad you're having such a great time w/this, you deserve it.
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:36 AM   #3
Jack Flanders
landscaping is fun

Burn those butt muscles!! They will burn the most calories. Also, do some yoga - it will losen up the muscles and make you more flexible. Yey!! Keep it up!!
Jack Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:42 AM   #4
Countercheck

This is insane... my first time on this board and I run into a swing dancer. Amazing. You have no idea how happy that makes me =) It's all about the tension and compression... connection and frame. Keep at it!

Are you doing Lindy? East coast? Westie? Bal or Shag?
Countercheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:32 AM   #5
karma_queen
Minx

^ mainly the shag
karma_queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:34 PM   #6
beckstra
one classy broad

East Coast, Lindy Hop, Charleston, & Balboa...although Charleston is decidedly my favorite...or at least, the era that accompanied it.

I'm getting pretty dern good at lindy though.

(I did my workshop with Kim Clever & David and Kim worked my sides with all those switches...not to mention all the Charleston work...again, ouch.)

Haven't learned shag yet.

Where's your scene?

Last edited by beckstra : 04-25-2006 at 02:37 PM.
beckstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:25 PM   #7
Countercheck

I'm in Toronto... well, Hamilton, but basically Toronto. Gotta love the Lindy =) I mostly do lindy, with a bit of East Coast (only for taking breaks during stupidly fast songs... lindy's great, but tiring) and I'm trying to learn Bal, but I've only taken one Bal workshop and have no one to dance with =(

Charleston's great, and I'm just getting the hang of tandim.

Where are you guys dancing?
Old 04-25-2006, 11:43 PM   #8
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckstra
Haven't learned shag yet.
Must

not

hit

with

something

snarky

or

perverted.
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:51 PM   #9
Jack Flanders
landscaping is fun

L
O
L
!

Dirty

dancing?
Jack Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:00 AM   #10
beckstra
one classy broad

Omaha, Nebraska. It's a little scene, but it's a scene and that's a lot more than other cities can say, especially since the big scenes are in New York, Colorado, and California. I find if I plan it right, I can dance about three or four days a week, depending on if they're offering classes I want or need (including practice nights with friends and the big Friday night Jitterbugs Night Out or Sunday afternoon Lindy In The Park). We have a little site if you wanted to read up on it, or if you ever find yourself out in Nebraska: http://www.jitterbugs.org

They're not big on shag out here. (Dear Monkeys...this is Shag: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jez-dtD1CXc so cut the naughty on outta here.) I don't know why. Most of the instructors know it, they just aren't big on passing it along because I guess it takes a shiteload of stammina. I'm interested because it's so dern cute when it's done well, but it looks like I'm going to have to wait for Cowtown this year or until the right workshop comes into town, or I may possibly have to go out of town to learn it.

My sister has been swing dancing for seven years now, and I've been dancing an obscene amount for the last five or six months. I think I'm actually going to be okay to do my first Jack and Jill contest this year. I don't bet on winning by a long shot, but I'm excited about it. My sister are thinking about opening up a dance studio in Arizona (where my dad's family is) in about two years...that is, unless one of us wins the lottery. Then we'll just open up shop here.

I've taken Bal, but none of the Bal-Swing classes are ever at the right time for me to take it. I really like the feel of Bal. When you get a good connection, it's just feels really comfortable to me...kinda like the jockey position in Charleston.

Tandem Charleston is so kickass. I love doing it. If you're in a crowd that largely doesn't know it, when you and the person you're dancing with break it out, all the girls heads practically break off from snapping to attention. It's hilarious to watch peoples' reactions. I like to boast that out here, I could get any one of these guys laid by making them look as good as I do (HA! kidding).

Right now, I'm working on my quick stop. I'm so bad at quick stop. I know I over think it.

What's your scene like? Any links or refrences?

Last edited by beckstra : 04-26-2006 at 01:04 AM.
beckstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:07 PM   #11
Countercheck

Hamilton is totally dead... there are some lessons that happen but they're too far away to actually go to. I co-ran my school's swing club and taught east coast and lindy... which was BAD because I only have about a year and a half of experience, and most of the time I've been dancing once a week with beginners I've taught! Very aggrivating. Toronto's better, there are several extremely good instructors and there are three venues to dance at normally, in addition to weekly lessons.

Because I've taken a total of ONE workshop and learned mostly from someone who's only marginally better than I am now, I'm really quite pathetic =P I know basic step and a few moves for Bal and Shag (shag is EXHAUSTING...) but that's about it. I recently learned basic tandim charleston, but don't have anyone to practice with... that's the main problem. There's only three follows at the school who know any lindy or charleston (or bal, or shag). One of them I taught, one spends most of the time outside smoking, which leaves me ONE follow to dance with!!! And she prefers, naturally, to dance with her boyfriend, who taught both of us =)

Next year, I'm moving to toronto, so things should be better =)

I do like bal a lot, but I haven't done it enough to be comfortable with the footwork or the connection. It was a little awkward at the one bal lesson I took, but they made us hug everyone first, and that made it a little easier. I still prefer balling with guys =P No... er... masses in the way of the connection.

My lindy is very... organic would be a nice word for how it's developed. I see something in a movie or a clip or a dance that looks cool, and I try to figure out how it was done. Very little formal training (two swing workshops, total, and no real lessons) means I don't know the names of most of the stuff I do, and end up making a lot of it up. People don't seem to mind, and don't have any trouble following it, anyway =)

This is one of the big events that happens in Hamilton:
http://www.warplane.com/pages/Swing_Dance.html

And this is the link for the main place to go dancing in toronto:
http://odd-socks.org/swing_schedule.htm

They actually had FRANKY MANNING a few weeks ago... unfortuantely I had 'As You Like It' performances that night and couldn't go =(
Old 04-26-2006, 10:52 PM   #12
beckstra
one classy broad

Sonofa...I have no idea if I'll ever get to see Frank Manning in person, but damn how I would love to.

So, do you spend a lot of time studying the Old Whiteys and the San Fransisco Jitterbugs clips? They're all over http://www.youtube.com and then Kim and David have Arial, Lindy & Charleston (they are great at Charleston) videos for $25 a pop if you have a paypal account at http://pages.prodigy.net/kimclever/ which is relatively cheap the more I look into instructional videos. David's not a bad teacher by any means & if you wanted your girls to learn, Kim's technique kicks so much ass it hurts (litterally). Kim & David are the second couple on this video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...+david&pl=true

That's awesome that you co-ran your school's swing club. We didn't have one where I went. In fact, I didn't technically discover there was any swing dancing in this area until a year after I'd graduated. How old are you?

I read that Peter Strom & Caitlin are coming out to Odd-Socks. I would totally suggest you go to that if you can. I have no idea if you're a guy or a girl since you mentioned the Bal connection like you did (hehe), and Peter is one of the best swing dancers .ever. Who better to learn from?

That event in Hamilton looks like a blast. Are they planning that for this year as well?
Old 04-27-2006, 02:34 PM   #13
Countercheck

I know! Franky Manning! AHHHH!!!

If, by a lot of time, you mean some time, then yes. =) But once again, I need someone to practice with, and the only good lindyfollow I know is always doing homework. Silly girl =) And I'll definately check out those videos. If I can get Sarah's nose out of her molecular biology books, it would be terrific to do some charelston with her. One of the problems I've found with youtube stuff is they tend to focus on aerials which aren't terribly useful. Can't do them on a crowded dance floor. That might be sour grapes though, my upperbody strength is a bit lacking and I can only lift very small girls. =)

I'm looking forward to the summer and next year. I'm taking a year off school (I'm 20, but because of a mistake in picking my majors I still have another two years to go at least) to recouperate from five years of intensive studying, and I'm going to get a job in Toronto and try to find some acting work as well. I'm hoping that a year of mindless drugery and bad auditions will get me back in the mood for essays again. The really cool thing is, I'll be in a decent scene and will be able to take actual lessons!

Unfortunately I can't go to any events for the next little while because I'm packing up my room and going to visit my parents in Manila. Which is a drag. But I'll definately try to work with them if they come by again!

Oh. And I'm a guy =)

And swingout to victory? Hell yes it's happening again this year! Lot of fun. Several hundred people dancing, big, big band, dancing under WWII airplanes. Nothing better.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:59 PM   #14
beckstra
one classy broad

My best partner practicing goes down with my fridge door. I also have wood floors, so I spend a lot of time in front of the floor-length mirror in my bedroom with my socks on. Another perk to Charleston is that it can be danced alone and looks good no matter how goofy you get (as long as you sell it). There's a Charleston routine on YouTube that my sister and I are trying to tear apart so we can learn it. If you search under "hot pockets", it's two girls & it's called the "Hot Pockets Routine." But like the Shim-sham, the Dean Collins Shim-Sham, or the Trankie Doo, it'll take some work to learn. Good times.

PS. Although I do not do arials, I do understand that the majority of them are not you lifting anyone if it's done right.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:30 PM   #15
Countercheck

I would not want to dance with my fridge. God knows whats in there. And I don't have any good floors... but you're right about the charleston. I may invest in those lessons.

And while yes, you shouldn't be lifting, the follows HERE don't know that and don't support their own damned weight!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: